Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858/7 Flying Eagle Cent- Fresh From PCGS!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,453Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5805 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is freshly graded and ready to be judged! Very happy to finally have this back. This was an eBay cherrypick back in April of 2021 and it feels good to see it properly slabbed up. How do you think she graded? I'll reveal the grade on Wednesday!

1858/7 "Strong" Snow-1 FS-301, Early Die State

-CH27

I included the Trueview images as well as a couple shots of my own through holder since I know Trueviews are sometimes inconsistent . I'm very pleased with the trueviews and I believe the color shown is very accurate to what it looks like in person.

Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Edited by CoinHunter27
08/08/2022 12:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71578 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-20.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12942 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
poster child for a VF20.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2641 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2261 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20, nice work!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 even though the tail feathers look a little weak. Good eye to pick up the remnants of the 7.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have thought F(12) or F(15). Or maybe I am really bad at this series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5918 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 at best, not enough meat for VF.
Great cherry-pick, obviously. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4081 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF-20, excellent cherrypick. Congrats!
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1buff2many to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking F15 on the grade, really nice pick on the variety
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1671 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will venture a grade of VF20, and well done.

I have been trying to cherrypick one of these for ages, but the diagnostics are, I guess, too fine and difficult to pick up, at least for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-18
That's one you really need to study to see it.
Nice pick!
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25236 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking VF-20.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
958 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say F-15.
Edited by Slerk
08/08/2022 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5805 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! This is certainly a very difficult variety to cherry-pick/find. This one is going into my personal collection and is starting my PCGS Registry Flying Eagle cents Complete Variety set (circulation strikes).

This coin is an early die state example, which is the reason why the overdate is easier to see. Once this die reached LDS, the underlying 7 was polished away nearly completely. The most desirable examples of the Snow-1 overdate are going to be EDS examples since the overdate is the strongest at this stage. It is already a fairly subtle variety, so having an example where the overdate is clearest is what most collectors look for.

Here is my original post including markers present on my coin:

http://goccf.com/t/397316

It does take some studying and learning to spot this one. The reverse marker I found was unknown as far as I know of. Took me a long while to find a marker like that that I could spot on every EDS example I looked at. It is not present on LDS examples going off of what I've studied, so it was likely polished away with the overdate. It's now one of my go-to markers to confirm the die state on this variety as well as making sure it's attributed correctly as the overdate.

-CH27
Edited by CoinHunter27
08/08/2022 12:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5805 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS said VG10. It was a F15 in my eyes, and if they net graded it for the corrosion then I can see why it might have dropped a grade or two. Regardless, happy to have it properly attributed. A straight grade and correct attribution, can't be mad!

-CH27

Edited by CoinHunter27
08/10/2022 01:44 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: