Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Will Become Of This Coin In A Few Years ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
963 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  10:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking through online auctions, I came across this coin in 2 kopecks 1842. It can be seen that it is all corroded, but I am interested in what will become of it in 10, 30, 50, 100 years. It's just going to turn into a black circle of metal, right?

Pillar of the Community
United States
520 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Corrosion is a chemical process involving contact with water, soil, acids, alkalis, or contaminants in the air. If a coin is protected from such contact, as yours is in a holder, it should retain essentially the same condition.
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slerk, exactly what @seek said. I have copper alloy coins more than 1000 years older than this one that aren't yet corroded into nothing.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5515 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the age of 180, it is already a "black circle of metal" to perhaps 75% extent, with some coppery colored highlights on the devices.

As others have said, I do not think this will change in the next 30 years.

If I wanted this coin in my collection, and the price was good, I would buy it.
Learn More...
Australia
14662 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is essentially pure copper. When copper corrodes, it turns green. The "contagious" form of copper corrosion, known as verdigris or bronze disease, is typically page greenish-blue in colour and very dusty or powdery in appearance. The stable, non-contagious form of corrosion, or "patina", is typically dark green. I'm not seeing either of those colours here on this coin.

So what you are seeing here isn't corrosion, directly. It's the pits left behind on the bare metal once all the corrosion by-products been chemically or electrolytically removed. The metal left behind after such treatment is normally bright pink or orange in colour; the dark colour on this coin tells me that this cleaning happened some time ago; either that, or it has been artificially induced with a copper darkener. If that's in a TPG slab, we can probably rule out artificial darkening since they test for that kind of thing.

As such, this coin is no more prone to further corrosion than a normal uncorroded pure copper coin. If you buried it back in the ground, or left it outside exposed to the sun, snow and rain, sure it'll corrode - but so will any other piece of copper, and at pretty much the same rate.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
963 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as yours is in a holder

As I wrote above, the coin is not mine. I saw her on one of the online sites for the sale of things.

Sap, Thank you for your detailed answer.
This coin was put up for auction and went for a small price, I didn't even bid because I considered the coins with corrosion dead, especially copper and especially so old.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
963 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, after all, I can buy coins with corrosion and have them in your collection? If she is in TPG, does that mean she is protected and she will definitely not get worse ?
Learn More...
Australia
14662 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It shouldn't get worse, or at least, won't get worse at a faster rate than an uncorroded coin. The TPGs won't slab anything with active corrosion that they believe might get worse.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5515 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this on purpose.

Slabbed by ANACS as "VF Corroded"
This type is rarely found without "corrosion" and I thought the uniform patina was attractive. One of only five slabbed coins in my collection.

As pointed out by Sap, greenish patina (carbonate, I think).
Brownish-black patina is copper oxide.
Edited by tdziemia
08/09/2022 10:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4015 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP coin is probably a metal detecting find that had been cleaned (chemically or electrolytically) to remove dirt and (some of the) patina. TBH it seems to have been actually a fairly mild cleaning, as those things go, but of course the environmental corrosion from 150+ years underground is irreversible.

I agree that if you don't put this coin in a damp environment it probably won't corrode any further; there would have been more risk if there were still green spots, indicating possible active corrosion nuclei.

I'm not sure why anyone bothered to slab this. I estimate a value of $5-10 for this date in this condition - maybe more outside Russia. I wonder what was the "small price" that it sold for.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
963 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The OP coin is probably a metal detecting find that had been cleaned

Please remind me what OP is. I need to write this term down in my notebook.

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone bothered to slab this. I estimate a value of $5-10 for this date in this condition - maybe more outside Russia. I wonder what was the "small price" that it sold for.

I have seen this coin on 2 sites. Initially, it was sold at auction for 900rub(14,83$), later it was resold for 700rub(11,54$).
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4015 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please remind me what OP is. I need to write this term down in my notebook.
OP means Original Post (and/or Original Poster), AFAIK. Basically the starting post in the thread.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: