Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 S Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 420Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please grade.

I did do an acetone soak/rinse on this. (I was hoping the black might be dirt, but I guess it is oxidation)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1153 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to get a feel for this one w/all the dark toning...looks kind of terminal.
Based on the smooth breast feathers...and a rim bruise @ 11 on the obverse I'm guessing VF-30/5 details ED
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13001 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typical weak strike for a 21(S). we can only assess by the photos and I'm seeing a coin that has eye appeal on the lower end. it could be from improper storage over the years or an old cleaning that was not washed off properly. there appears to be a large scratch right across the jaw line under that toning. i'd call it AU. if I had to assign a numeric grade i'd go with 53. I dont think it would grade straight due to the scratch
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71847 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-50/53, unsure about the scratch.
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would net this one down to AU-50 for eye appeal. I am not convinced the obverse is just bad toning, could be some ED.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree low AU-50/53...the way it's pictured, it's just not an appealing coin.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1144 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These toners are so hard to grade. I've seen ones like this revealed at ms67 and you're just left amazed as to how. I can't even begin to guess this one, sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25296 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 but poor eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
678 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have problems grading these as well which is why I really appreciate the advice.

I can assure you that the comment concerning storage deficiencies is spot on because I know where and how it has been stored for the last 25 years or so (in a box as loose change in a closet with temperatures 60-100 deg. F. with humidity 40-80% or so).

I am disposing of a moderately significant collection for someone, so I feel obligated to explore my personal grading deficiencies a bit before I start dumping things. I don't want to accidentally let the 41 million Dollar coin go because I missed something (because, apparently, that happens all the time).

It does not look that bad in hand, but the camera does not lie, and I am a bit colorblind and a bit age-blind in general so..

Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: