Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 - 1959 Lincoln Cents- Incomplete Collection

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,261Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3899 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've all probably overpaid a bit when starting out - you can say you are part of that club also

So you overpaid a little - so what, it's a couple hundred bucks at most and you do have a key date in the 09-S. And some of the semi keys as well, so it's a good start to a set. It's onward and upward from here!
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I was bothered at first but after glong through it with yall I realize I paid extra but saved some time. It'll be difficult to find a lot of these in circulation and for now, that's how I prefer to hunt. So, all in all, I'm good.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so is RedBook not something I should use to determine coin values? I get a lot of different opinions on the resources and its really confusing. Who/what should I use for valuation?
Edited by Camrdaddy19
08/08/2022 8:53 pm
Learn More...
United States
24739 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Red Book is good as a general guide, but book pricing will always be hopelessly out of date. Better would be to use price paid from finished eBay auctions. Remember too, you'd prefer not to always pay full retail for your coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The RedBook should be used as a guide.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not worth the $300.

Every single person told you it's over priced and you still bought it, why even ask then?

$150 value- You paid double.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt the 09-S would straight grade with the rim hit evident at 11K on the reverse. Since that's the only key date present, most of the value comes from the more common dates, the older of which are are not in high grade. Even with the better pics now, $300 is pricey IMO.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18128 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang, the 20D is not what I thought I saw in the first picture. :(
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with above comments.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the coins before I saw all the comments. . Seller lied to me about what was included in the book. That's why I bought it. Also, like I said earlier, it did save me some time.

The local coin guy offered me $115 for everything. It is what it is. A learning experience. The 1909S he put at about $60.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18128 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I purchased the majority of coins below 1959 for $175 about 4 years ago.

That was a great deal, lots of red in there and ticked a bunch of boxes!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4336 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hfjacinto - I would definitely pay $300 for your set!

Camrdaddy, we all make mistakes and you have at least one decent coin in that lot. The later ones (Post 1934) are at least decent quality. There is room to upgrade and add. Think about it, you could drunk away that $300 or spent it on trendy clothes that would be unwearable in 2 years.

There are much worse things to spend money on and with all the common and scarce coins there - there is less leg work and now you can add and upgrade at your leisure. The later Memorial pennies can be finished up with change at 1c per coin! Plus you can go backwards and start adding Indians!

You did well and learned a valuable lesson. Patience builds the most satisfying collection.

Thanks for showing us and we hope it does not put you off collecting.

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
United States
116157 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is what it is. A learning experience.
That attitude can carry you far!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71578 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You learn more from your mistakes than your successes, a wise man said.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: