Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 P LMC Unusual Die Crack

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 933Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know this location is common for memorial die cracks (gutter) but this one is unusually larger. Kind of odd isn't it?

Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a bit odd,but a nice one.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice thick die crack that has been worn down. Almost looks like a thin lam.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9288 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen wide die cracks that have been worn through circulation. They look much like your feature.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NY Islander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like something was embedded.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice crack, put it in a 2x2.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3229 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This it is not a die crack. It is linear de-lamination. was accentuated by the strike with some small parts of material (alloy metal) detach. Excellent photos to judge.
Learn More...
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno @sil, based on the location right at the point of the Lincoln Memorial, I'm inclined to think it is a wide/flattened die crack rather than a lam.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3229 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence: I understand you perfect. One thing: The iron on dies is bi three lateral pyramidal (molecular structure iron-silver alloy) . The cracks will be never flat. Any die crack is raise on the surface of the coin. Here we have incuse sides, and also parts exfoliate which on die crack we do not see this before. Good point you bring up
Edited by silviosi
08/09/2022 03:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback here. The flatness is strange considering this isn't a highly circulated coin. I'll see if JC wants to take a look.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because of the distinct boundaries...I was thinking that a piece was embedded...but I could see it as a de-lamination.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah this one is really nice...glad it was on a "copper" cent and not a Zincoln.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'm with Silvio on this one. It is too flat to be a crack. Not enough circulation to wear it down flat. You can see both edges there is a separation line. With a crack you don't see that. This is defiantly two different pieces of metal. A crack is part of the coin. This is an addition to the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We may need Mike.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 933Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: