Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold/Copper Nickel 2005 D

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alanmichael to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I found this 2005 lewis and Clark nickel. It is gold or copper colored. I couldn't find anything online. Same size as a nickel, although it feels lighter and the "lip" is a tiny bit thicker.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20031 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In rare environmental conditions, copper nickel will tone to an attractive rich golden tone, as seen here.
Fools gold perhaps, but I like it.

Part thickened rim a very minor error.

Accurate weight measurement should confirm as normal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always weigh your coins.
Learn More...
United States
24717 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@alan, first welcome to CCF. Second, as noted by @sap above, the surface toning on these coins is typically due to environmental or chemical exposure. Sometimes they are even aftermarket plated!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3229 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nickel can turn yellow due to exposure to chlorine and sulfur. Look at the sides. If exposited to external agents you will have different color and nuances.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Need better photos,more light and cropped. Kinda looks gold plated to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Could be plated...haven't heard much on nickels being plated...most likely the metal has toned in that peculiar color.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: