Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Does NGC Grading Work?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 939Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
147 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Afternoon all,

Just a quick question regarding NGC grading (perhaps grading in general). I have recently acquired a nice 1927 proof Wreath Crown that I would like to have graded. It's waiting to go, but wanted to check something before I bother getting it sent off.

I have no experience of these types of things, but as this is my most expensive coin to date, I wanted to make sure that I keep it as safe as possible and tuck it away.

I have recently seen a couple of coins up for sale that have been slabbed by NGC as 'UNC Details - Scratch on reverse', or similar. Does that mean that even if there is a minor blemish on the coin it is detailed? I can understand if it was 'cleaned' etc, but a scratch?

My coin is pretty much as struck, but has a tiny little ding above the D in IND (image attached). Is this going to be graded noting that as detailed or not?

Grateful for any advice
Pillar of the Community
United States
5632 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It should straight grade -- but you didn't show us the obverse so don't know for sure.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should grade normally. See Understanding NGC Details Grading: https://www.ngccoin.com/pdf/details...brochure.pdf

Also check the fees to ensure you wish to grade a single coin vs combining with several other coins in one submission to save on the shipping back and forth etc https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/
Edited by datadragon
08/09/2022 1:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4191 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks great to me. Would love to see the obverse
Valued Member
United Kingdom
147 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.

Sorry, the sun has got to me today and I'm not with it. Here's the obverse.

Quote:
Also check the fees to ensure you wish to grade a single coin vs combining with several other coins in one submission to save on the shipping back and forth etc https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/

Thanks for the links. I have another one en route to me that will likely be going in as well, along with a further shilling I have that I'd like to send.

Appreciate the replies.
Valued Member
Canada
308 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful coin.....
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect this will grade rather well
Learn More...
Australia
14811 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim ding you've noticed above the D is normal for a coin this size.

"Scratches" only warrant a Details grade if they're above and beyond the kind of scratches one would normally see on a coin from regular circulation and mint handling. Think more along the lines of "vandalism" or "graffiti" - someone has to deliberately hack away at a coin with something hard and/or sharp. Though such scratches can also come about "accidentally", by, for example, removing a coin from a stapled 2x2 holder without fully removing the staples.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
147 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm grateful for the confirmation. Thank you.

I have had this and the other one I purchased sent off now, so hope to have some good news within a couple of months.

The other one didn't have quite such a uniform tone, but was equally as well struck, with maybe a few hairlines in the obverse field. Hopefully I'll be able trade one of them up, and work towards a nice gothic...next year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How Does NGC Grading Work?

Consult the Kabal!!!!!

KK
Valued Member
United Kingdom
147 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin has come back and graded as PF64

Happy with that.
Learn More...
United States
118429 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coin has come back and graded as PF64
Excellent!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 939Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: