Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Obsession With Morgan Dollars With So Many New And Intermediate Coin Collectors?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,775Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1846 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like both types about equally

I know quite well that the Morgan has a far longer run than the Peace along with many more VAM varieties, but that don't mean I like the Peace type less...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Peace dollar myself...Morgan's do have a lot of varieties. Let's push everyone to go towards IKE's.

KK
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What Is The Obsession With Morgan dollars With So Many New And Intermediate Coin Collectors?
Yeah, what is up with that? We all know the Ike is the superior American large dollar coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me:
Big, old, allure of the Old West, "busy" design, and a large chunk of silver = Morgan

Lack of details making an overall more bland look, MIss Liberty with a row of spikes on her head and her mouth hanging open with almost a bewildered look, (but at least her eye looks real compared to the Morgan's staring blank zombie eye!) ...That's a Peace dollar.

But, to me, they both are still beautiful enough to want some of each.

If I HAD to choose...probably Morgan for me. If the Peace dollar details were better struck, it might be harder to choose.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No other classic silver (affordable) coin was kept safely stored in vaults for the better part of a century - preserved the "minty freshness" of the strike. They are available by the tons in mint-state - allowing dies studies. Perhaps excepting later date large cents, can't do that with most classic coins unless the anomaly is drastic. No Carson City or New Orleans minted Peace dollars - variety is the spice of life. I think Morgan's design is beautiful. I've been able to acquire a good number of Morgan and Peace dollars in mint state. The Morgan is a higher quality coin without question. If the Peace design had transferred as well in the finished product, I could see myself admiring them almost as much. I've rarely seen a "pretty" Peace dollar minted after 1921. Again as has been said up-thread, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited to clarify one point.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
08/10/2022 10:08 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4326 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually prefer seated Liberty and Bust coins over all of them. The old stuff has always got me going!

Then again the British halfcrown really has its merits too!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4010 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't really enjoy the Morgans because they're so expensive and so ugly. I guess the Peace dollars are expensive too but at least they're pretty.
(I'd love to get one of those high relief 1921 Peace dollars... but $$$$. Not in this economy.)

It might be that the Morgan is so hyped up because it's that common - it's by far the easiest chance to get a 19th century large silver coin in decent condition (even if we don't limit it to US coins, there's not really anything comparable AFAIK), so a new-to-intermediate collector would have to start with a Morgan if they want a large old silver that they can afford. Obviously the whole Wild West thing doesn't hurt it either.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being a Morgan lover I have to admit I prefer the 2021 Peace over the 2021 Morgan's. With the full sharp strike the Peace dollar is a beautiful coin. Morgan's will always be my favorite as for me they have a lot of history, variety and beauty.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The popularity of silver dollars has been discussed many times.

1. Big coin
2. Readily available
3. Marketing

I think if it weren't for Morgan dollars, there'd be much less of a numismatic market in the USA.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/11/2022 4:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
811 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me a large part of the appeal is the historical significance associated with them. The CC dollars take us back to the times of the wild west. You hold one in your hand and wonder if Wild Bill Hikok tossed this into a poker pot. Then they take you thru the turn of a century and the great industrial revolution of the early 1900's. I find the design elements quite striking and what is not to love about a large heavy silver coin?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
671 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love Morgan dollars. I like the design way more than the Peace dollar. George T. Morgan had massive talent. Check out other coins and medals he designed. He trained under William Wyon at The Royal Mint. The Wyons were renowned for their talented engraving during the 19th century.

As others have said, I like that I can get a nice big uncirculated silver coin that is over 100 years old for a fraction of the price of other coins in similar grades during that same time period. I like that many of these coins were stored for decades in bags, giving them all sorts of interesting tones. They were produced at five different mints, giving a nice variety of ways to collect.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5508 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to admit:-
Conder101's reasoning happens to align with my way of thinking.

Mine, too.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a new coin collector and I also collect the Morgans. I can second Sap's opinion and also Conder101's opinion.

Its the first US American silver coin that I think is visually pleasing. I can understand that Americans love the earlier US coins just because of ... history, but I think their designs are far way from the European coins from the early to mid 19. century. I personally would never shell out large amounts of money for a capped bust or seated liberty (Look at this eagle! Looks like a rubber chicken!).

Also:

Its big.

Common dates can be had in nice conditions for not so much money, certainly less money than any other larger silver coin from the same era.

It evokes the Wild West era, which was culturally engrained in virtually every european kid growing up in the 20th century after WW2.

Lastly I guess, Morgans are easy to "learn". Thats nice if you are a new collector.
Edited by HP2001PH
08/13/2022 02:52 am
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Big coin
2. Readily available
3. Marketing

All three are true, but I think #3 is really driving these.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear all the viewpoints - especially from those outside the US.

No matter what your taste I agree the attention on Morgans does draw collectors away from other series that offer comparative bargains considering mintages and survival rates. I am of the camp that thinks it better to invest in Two Cent, Three Cent Capped Bust, Seated Liberty Proofs, and (what I can afford) Gold dollars.

I agree in general that European design of coins generally has been better than most US coinage (there are exceptions - St Gauden's work of course and I think those that embrace our American Indian Heritage do quite well design-wise). What is overlooked is the fine artistry of US Medallic artist from the late 19th into the 20th century and beyond as well as some of the commemoratives from the first half of the 20th century-- I think that is the area you will find the best designs from the US/

Edited by coinnewcomer1
09/04/2022 1:55 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,775Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: