Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1926-S Buffalo Nickel For Your Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 2,225Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  12:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My phone camera can never get the color the same as in hand. Nevertheless, now that it is in hand, it confirms my opinion of XF45.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25302 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great coin for a 26-S. Not sure about luster but this one at least AU-53.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71861 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks almost too good to be true. AU-53 sounds right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cutting yourself short there Jerry , I agree AU-53 . Nice coin .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow indeed! That needs to be slabbed. Looks like a $3000 or better coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8051 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
needs to be graded.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, agree needs to be slabbed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13010 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU53 also
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely an AU coin...nice horn...reverse is a little better than the obverse (pics?). The way TPGs go...you might get an AU-58.

KK
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to get better pics. This is what I came up with. Nickels seem to always give me difficulty.

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like one of the counterfeit rare-date\mint Buffalos that were coming from Italy and sold on eBay last year. Anyone remember the big hub-bub about those ? They so were masterfully made that it really freaked people out. (I'm not saying this specimen is one of those - I'm merely saying it looks like one of them.)

This example has, literally, perfect surfaces for the grade. Picture perfect. It is so clean. As Coinfrog stated, it looks just too perfectly good to be true.

Is there a way to supply a photo taken on a device different other than your phone ? Tough assessment with the current images. If it has good luster, then AU-65 ?

PS - I really do hope it ends being accepted and certified as a legitimate AU-55+ by PCGS.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/12/2022 8:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The E.P.U. looks a little weird from these pics
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this coin again, it is remarkable how clean and monochrome that it is for a circulation specimen. The initial impression was that something isn't right and a second look leads me to double-down on that assessment.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13010 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
second look. I'm also leaning that this one is not legit. EPU just does not look right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow , on 2nd assessment I also agree that this coin looks too good for a circulated Buff . Hope I'm wrong .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could have been skillfully cleaned and re-colored.

But yes, Pluribus in the E.P.U. appears not to be straight in one of the photos. (While in the other it appears correctly straight. So could optical illusion or digital distortion.)

OP might want to check the edge of the coin; the counterfeits that came from Italy were constructed by creating the obverse and reverse separately, and then gluing them together. It resulted in almost imperceptible seam along one of the rims.

The guy that was manufacturing the things was a master sculptor and metalwork artist.
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/13/2022 10:10 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 2,225Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: