Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany Seemingly Very Old Damaged Coin Found On Farmers Field, What Could Be Its Identity?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 880Next Topic
Page: of 2

Germany
5 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  04:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

This coin, or rather coin fragment, was found on a farmers field within 1 mile of an old village in northern Germany.
Less than 1 mile north from this village there used to be fortification works and a fortress to defend against the Slavs, who came from a north easterly direction.

What could this coin be? How old?
It is also very thin.

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet you will need to find not just a numismatist, but also an archeologist that uses specialized techniques to identify such finds. Hopefully there is someone here that can assist you.

Whatever you do I wouldn't touch it - like trying to remove dirt. Just leave it as-is\alone until you've gotten expert help!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4010 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason I want to say Polish, which is plausible in this location, but of course could be a lot of other stuff.

I very clearly read GO at 11-12h on the first pic, but can't see any more letters. There's what appears to be a shield right next to the GO but I'm not sure what's on that shield. Overall vibe is late 16th/early 17th century, but again can be very wrong. Size (i.e. length, which is roughly the diameter of the original coin) would probably help.

Currently going through Numista to check if anything looks similar (there are 33 pages of results but most are obviously irrelevant).
Germany
5 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second picture, Top left corner used to be an A.
A small piece chipped off when I put it away, and it clearly was an A.
Unfortunately the piece is quite delicate...
Here is a picture (not scan) of it before the chip:

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4010 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, there was nothing that immediately jumped out to me as plausible on all 33 pages, but I might well have missed something. Or it could be a type that doesn't have lettering listed on Numista (and/or isn't listed on Numista at all).
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Germany
5 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for trying!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to enhance.
The size and thickness in millimeters could be the first leading clues.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
198 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial reaction to seeing it was that it might be a Krauwinkel rose/orb jeton, but it's really hard to make out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck on this one...Try a making a tracing of the coin...maybe some of the lettering can become more apparent...or try putting some alcohol on it to again attempt to highlite the images.

KK
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with January1may - something screams polish-lithuanian 16-17th century about this - it may just be the metal degradation saying it, as they tend to be found like this.

https://www.coinshome.net/en/coin_d...UJlRkqNl.htm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5507 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PLEASE post the size so that we can help you.

One legend consistent with what we can see in the first photo would have GOSLAR. So, maybe something like this dreipolker: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1668225

Edited by tdziemia
08/13/2022 06:02 am
Germany
5 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I will post the size when I get home, I'm gone for the weekend.
But Goslar makes sense, because it was found about an hours drive from Goslar.
Germany
5 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey,
So its 22mm long, and 0.8-0.9mm thick.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its too large for the 1/24 Taler (18-19 mm diam).

Here is a list of Goslar coins:

https://fr.numista.com/catalogue/go...y-1.html?o=y

I think it could be worthwile to put a piece of paper on the fragmett you found and gently rub a pencil over it to visualie the devices (whats left of them) better.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 880Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: