Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P Sacagawea $1 Error Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 744Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this dollar coin with an error

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you take a look on the letters ONE DOLLAR has a raise looking ring first I was thinking PMD and heat but that raise bump can't be done by heat
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21962 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I see is a very badly beat up dollar.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this coin is post mint damaged.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16284 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You didn't show a picture of the reverse so can't comment on the words ONE DOLLAR
but the obverse is just badly damaged with a swelling caused by heat.
Learn More...
United States
24776 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that raise bump can't be done by heat

I wonder why you say this @4q. Do you have some knowledge about the metallurgy maybe? As a general rule, we always say that coins exhibiting this sort of large bubbling are damaged by heat (so-called campfire coins). Your coin is badly damaged, but it would be good to know if there is some damage other than heat which causes that bubbling. Thx for explaining your reasoning.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71660 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like heat damage among other things. Is it just me, or does that baby's head look like a skull?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46532 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heat damage, PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3237 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
88.5% Copper, 6% Zinc, 3.5% Manganese and 2% Nickel. Seem to has some acid interferences, and some heat also. Probably was heat and then acid. At the surface left Cu and Zn.
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Sac has had a rough life. PMD - Environmental Damage by some form of heat source causing the bubbling. The coin's physical makeup is a three-layer clad construction - pure copper sandwiched between outer layers of manganese brass which may have been worn away. Seeing a photo of the reverse and also the edge of the coin would help. I also see a mumified corpse for the baby's head similar to what coinfrog sees in a skull if you look at the forehead as the face, and maybe a tumor on the head like they have been exposed to radiation. While its not an error, I always wonder if there are collectors out there who buy or retain these type of oddball coins that come up.

Edit: This is all I could find. The Sacagawea dollar may be referred to as manganese-nickel, but it is actually comprised of 88.5 percent copper, 6 percent zinc, 3.5 percent manganese and 2 percent nickel; the copper-zinc-manganese-nickel mix at the surface has significantly less copper than at the core of the planchet. The surface toning that may result could follow the pattern of toning on brass or copper. With improper storage or improper manufacture of the planchets, it is possible the center copper core could "erupt" and react in a similar manner to an ancient silver-coated copper fourree, eventually causing a bubble to rise to the surface of the coin. https://www.PCGS.com/news/color-of-...deeper-tones

Edited by datadragon
08/11/2022 8:41 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14653 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...that raise bump can't be done by heat

Yes, it can. Clad coinage can form "bumps" and "lumps" exactly like this, when the plating splits away from the core due to the heat and an air bubble trapped between the two layers expands and pushes up the softened metal.

The other option is pinhole damage to the clad layer allowing a corrosive substance to seep into the core and corrode it. The end result can look the same - a raised "lump" - only the "lump" in that case would be filled with corroded metal rather than just air. However, I think the first option is more likely in this case.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a beat up coin...any defiling action was Post Minting Damage ( PMD)...regardless of the actual causation...not sure too many people have a collection of PMD coins...sub-classsified.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11070 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9334 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A full, sharp image of the reverse might tell us more.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59581 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does happen with being in a fire:

I don't have an image of a Sac one yet. (I will now) But no reverse image?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/12/2022 2:41 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry here is the back of the coin
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 744Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: