Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1863 NY Civil War Token, You Versus NGC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 581Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  9:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I posted this over on the Exonumia forum yesterday, but evidently I didn't or it generated no interest. If I doesn't belong here then apologies.

*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a lot of the scratches and smudges are on the plastic. I think it is MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5814 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a gorgeous token. As always, classic designs are just amazing. Not familiar with the series so no grade from me, but wanted to comment on how nice this piece is.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely piece! Haven't come across it on the exonumia forum.
Since I've never seen another one for comparison, I'll pass on grading it.
One thing I'd want to look at carefully is whether that's wear on the stag's head between the snout and the ear, including the base of the antler, or should we be seeing more hair in that area?
As a token collector for 40 years I've found that my grading is typically a half- to a full grade less optimistic than NGC's.
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking its MS-63 but love the design.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9533 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64BN

I have an AU example of the same, this is much nicer
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it me, or does that red eye in the stag make it look like one of the monsters in an old Godzilla movie ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3637 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful! I see the "Godzilla" aspect of the design. It's that knuckled brow. Sure looks like big G to me!

I can't add my guess.

I found the token on NGC and yes, I cheated. Remember, barcodes are just another font if you know how to read them.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Valued Member
Australia
464 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
63BN
Watch your top knot
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64BN. Very cool piece.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll assume it's just a weak strike as some areas do not show definition (i.e. animals fur)...MS-63

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1240 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63 - 64 RB. I think there is enough red left to call it RB.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All,

It is almost 48 hours since I posted this one, so I am going to close it out now.

NGC MS 64 RB

This one is a part of The Penny Lady's stock and has some numismatic history to it.

https://thepennylady.com/coins/1864...-ngc-ms64rb/

For me this one is difficult because there's a lot of rub on the skin of the obv & rev fields. Who knows, perhaps the images don't give an accurate picture - no pun intended - with a slow rotation there is full luster in those areas. Plus, the color - RB - is debatable. In the end it doesn't really matter, BN versus RB, because this one is a looker.

That all being said, if I were into tokens then I'd snap this one up. The eye appeal along with the coin history makes it a desirable little gem. (I'm not advocating anyone buy the thing. I'm speaking only from my own perspective.)
Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/14/2022 06:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece. Thanks for sharing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: