Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Philly Morgan For Thoughts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 712Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Curious your thoughts on this one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2324 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-something. 55?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6550 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55/58 range to these old eyes.

Looks like it circulated a few days and was then put away for 130 years!

Nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9533 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:24 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
62PL

VAM 2 imo

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2296 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouchies, a lot of contact marks. I think this coin had a bit of circulation, handled by Edward Scissorhands. AU-58PL

MS-60PL could be argued, either way the coin doesn't have much eye appeal.

Edit: Minor grammar change.
Edited by jacrispies
08/12/2022 10:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
926 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to believe this didn't circulate slightly.

AU58 PL
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say too many scratches for AU-58, so AU-55.
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58PL
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58, not a fan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25296 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lightly circulated. AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mid-AU and probably PL. I'm sure this one looks really nice in person.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13001 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first though was MS62PL. the cheek area is giving me pause to think its a slider. this year is known for weak strikes so the ear and breast are typical for strike
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck me as PL with first look...but not a nice looking coin (Eagle) upon further inspection...does look like it circulated..AU-55.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1235 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Using the two completely different looking photos of the obverse and reverse created a problem for me. The fields look damaged somehow to me. The Eagles breast has severe damage. AU something. Not a fan of this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9533 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weak strike above the ear might make the coin look AU but its Uncirculated grade is belied by the Phrygian cap and the clean cheek.

This coin has a weak central strike in general, resulting in the flat breast and ear hair with no detail.

I can see an AU argument as well based on contact marks and surface abrasions, but those are also not inconsistent with bag handling, and in addition, prooflike coins by their nature tend to show up marks and light scratches much more than non-prooflike coins.

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is in A old Green Holder
PCGS AU-55
Looking forward to getting the coin as I am hoping it is A AU Prooflike .
We will have to see once it is in hand.
Edited by JasonKflo
08/13/2022 10:24 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 712Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: