Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found This 2016 Quarter With Some Odd Damage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 607Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mr B Crisp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I found this 2016 Canadian Quarter with what seems like the side ribbing damaging the face of the coin. It seems the damage covers most of the word "cents" and some of the antler too.

There doesn't seem to be much, if any, noticeable damage on the Queen side.

Let me know what your thoughts are!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71578 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost looks like it was done deliberately.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the cents raised ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46475 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks intentional ,maybe with the reeds of another coin?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16239 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I think you pretty much called it, it is damage from the reeding of another coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Coinfrog said...

Quote:
Almost looks like it was done deliberately.

That was my first thought as well.

It even looks like it would have been some work to get it this way. I don't think it was just a strait imprint from the other coin, it almost looks like it was rolled under pressure, or received multiple 'hits' across the surface to get this shallow and long of a incuse mark.

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Learn More...
United States
116157 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3711 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, someone hammered another coin into yours. deliberately damaged.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr B Crisp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yokozuna, I think you're opinion has merit. I strongly believe this is not man-made damage.

After closer look, the Queen side appears to have some light markings of the ribbing breaking through.

I conducted my own science experiments. I can say that, even with use of a hammer, no coin would easily make that mark. Even after multiple hits, I found the quarter being used to hammer would fold under the pressure of the weight applied by my force.

John 100 - what do you mean by your question? Can you please kindly clarify what you're asking? Portions are raised, and some are flattened. It's difficult to fully explain?

Not sure what I can do, or where to go to have this closer examined. I'm just interested, since it's in my possession.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the ents lettering raised on top of the marks or are the marks on top of the ents ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2297 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage.
I could make a coin almost identical to the one post in about 5 minutes at work.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16239 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that it matters exactly how it was done, the fact that
it could not of happened during the striking of the coin defaults it to PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8876 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2022  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If it was struck thru something the nts would not be so well defined.
This happened after the coin left the mint.
We may never know how or why.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 607Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: