Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade Of 1934 D Washington Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 659Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  6:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add andleech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The coin has a few light scratches on the obverse and the upper half of "MERIC" in "AMERICA" area on the reverse is worn down near the rim. What would cause this?

I was thinking about sending it in to be graded, but it may not be worth it.
The coin has a nice silver tone with plenty of luster.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 ; I don't know what causes it but I've seen many 90% silver Quarters with that problem of flatten letters of upper part of reverse .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those marks in the upper left obverse field and below IGWT hold it to MS-63 tops.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/12/2022 7:57 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andleech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input!

I took two more pics with a different camera.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 for me, given the posted pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46627 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First set of pics are better.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71822 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, much better.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25296 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one looks like a slider to me. AU-58.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster looks off to me, possibly dipped.
High grade AU- low grade MS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like circulation wear...AU-58...I think it's original luster...not buffed. Seeing the coin in hand would be better.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3302 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin come from bag. It is a re-polish die with fresh strike after re-polish. Some bag marks could be see. The strike in 34 D was characterized by been week. To day the TPG go by marketing and is hard to have the right on. I have an 65 for this year and is a little bit better strike. If they look and take in consideration the history of Mint your coin reach 65.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13001 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as for slabbing, what is your reason to slab it?

these are your possible grades:

if the coin grades at AU58 its borderline to slab. I would just place it in an airtight holder

if it grades at MS63 it can be graded but it depends on what your reason is

at MS64 if would be worth grading

I'm not a fan of slabbing so unless I was planning on selling it and I was pretty certain it would not grade AU I would not consider it. my best guess at this one is that it would come back AU58 or MS63
Learn More...
United States
116475 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andleech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the info and the welcome.

I was planning to sell the coin as I am more of a junk silver stacker than coin collector.
Sending it to a TPG would tell me exactly what the coin is worth and where to price it, but after reading through the replies here I have a pretty good idea.

Although PCGS puts an AU-58 @ $185 versus MS-65 @ $525 as one member had mentioned.

I asked my LCS if they would be interested in purchasing the coin.
He first offered 20x face ($5) and when I turned him down he upped it to $20.
He called it an AU.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13001 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
even at AU50 he's ripping you off. yes a dealer needs to make $$ thats why they are in business but thats ridiculous for this coin. it would tell me all I need to know about them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3302 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PAN: I remember one day I had a 18k stamps set (dealer buy price). Him offer 2.5k. I told him is 18K set dealer buy price so consider your offer and do not tell me stories about gas and miles you do. At the end him offer 17K which was 1K over what I want. They are like this, and I can give you many examples.

Me I find the best thing is to go to auctions. Is risky but you do not make face to a such low level comportment.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 659Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: