Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Treasures Of The Caribbean 1795 8 Reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 685Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
Not sure if this is in the right forum or section?

Pictured is of a box set which includes a scroll (to long to take a pic of), a 7pg pamphlet and an 1795 8 Reales in an air tight.
Kind of reminds me of a late night TV advertisement or perhaps the end of a tour gift shop purchase...idk?

Anyone ever seen one of these and/or have any additional info?
Paid $30 for it awhile ago when Ag was $27...thought it was kind of cute in a silly way.

Thanks for looking!
smat

Edited by smat45
08/14/2022 09:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4559 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it certainly looks real. If so, that was a pretty good price. I would do a weight, magnet, and ping test to be sure. One of our 8 reales experts may be able to give greater certainty.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125290803176

It doesn't look identical to yours so that's a good sign.

Looks like this is the gentleman guaranteeing your coin to be authentic:
hFua7mEQLj4

James Gerstel.

Looks like you got an amazing deal!!!

Edited by captainmandrake1
08/14/2022 01:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ captinmandrake1...Thank you for the Ebay link...I can't believe I forgot to look there

So mine is just like the Ebay listing...except mine does not have the COA (Thanks for the youtube link as well explaining who James Gertsal is on the COA).
Funny thing is...when I 1st looked at my coin...it also looked like a 1796...but a closer look appears to show an incomplete loop making it a 5...
Looking at the Ebay listing of the 1796...zooming in on the date...it also appears to have an incomplete loop making it a 5.
The COA signed by Gertsal states 1796...
So is it a 1796 or 1795?
I would really appreciate any help here folks! Any links to a price guide (like PCGS), or other links that I can study up on.
Thank you again!
smat
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a 5 for sure. The 6 is much more rounded (just google the pics...).

Quick research shows me that that similar coins (year/condition) are going for at least 100$/.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome!
You're right-looks like they messed up on the dates when putting the set together!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies...

Guess I'll make my own COA and sign it...
Authenticated by CCF Members:
captinmandrake1
HP2001PH
smat45
; )~
Thanks again!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've discussed pieces in the "Postal Commemorative Society" holders many times over the years on here... I'd guess something like 60-80% of those are known/obvious modern fakes.

I'm not sure if we've ever addressed these "Treasures of the Caribbean" pieces... and that should probably change.

EVERY SINGLE PIECE I've seen in these holders is a modern fake.

This 1795 is a fake that's surfaced numerous times. I'm simply going to post a number of specimens and let anyone who's interested work backwards and figure out what you're seeing. There are numerous posts in this forum's archives that should help understand how to recognize these when you see them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure if we've ever addressed these "Treasures of the Caribbean" pieces... and that should probably change.

EVERY SINGLE PIECE I've seen in these holders is a modern fake.

@ realeswatcher
Thank you for the reply!
Because this is the only one I have...I'm probably not going to do alot of research on it...if you say it's a modern fake...I'll take your word for it!
For $30 like I said...it was kinda cute in a silly way. I'll make sure I include inside the box on a sticker "modern fake".
I don't sell any of my coins...but I do like to trade...now I can keep this knowing what I have into it.
Thanks!
smat
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
smat45, I am completely unqualified to authenticate such coins!

Just wanted to point out that the last numeral is a 5, and share my quick google research about selling prices.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So sad it's a fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am completely unqualified to authenticate such coins!

Quote:
So sad it's a fake.

Hey you 2...Thank you for all the follow up!

smat
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afewmorecents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Realswatcher. I think those coins would fool all of us. How do the counterfeiters get the cracks through the date?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 685Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: