Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1897 Philly Morgan For Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 383Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  9:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hopefully the pics are ok.
This coin is certainly Prooflike to me.
To me I also believe it is Uncirculated .
My personal thought is it would grade MS-62

Edited by JasonKflo
08/14/2022 12:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71746 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe even MS-63.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Odee13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at ms60. Awesome coin.
Valued Member
Germany
295 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks really good. I would say MS-62.
Edited by HP2001PH
08/14/2022 02:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1139 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tons of marks. No higher than MS61 for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frosty...
I don't know if there is enough on all the devises to carry a PL...but she's pretty darn close.
MS-62PL
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12984 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
based on the photos provided

luster is dull across all devices and fields for an MS coin

strike is a tad weak for the year

surface preservation shows staining at K4-K6 obv. there is a clear delineation line from K8-K4 obv and the same on the reverse indicating a possible old dip. light marks/scratches on both devices and fields on both sides.

eye appeal less than average

I'm at AU55 or MS62. based on the obv I'm leaning toward AU55

Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi I do not think I did this one justice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos indicate possible MS. Probably not PL.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12984 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@panzaldi I do not think I did this one justice.

so are you saying the first obv photo is not really accurate as to what it looks like in Hand? if thats the case then how can we grade it with any accuracy at all? how does the luster look in hand on the obv?

i still have a problem with the delineation on both sides essentially pointing to a dip of the coin to that level. I cant explain how that could happen on both sides equally.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25276 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-61 tops to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think I captured the mirror on either side.
I do not see a dipped coin . Possibly in Acetone but surfaces are original.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a reach for MS. The luster is broken on the cheek and just does not come thru. Looks to be rub on the high points. It is kinda PL, though. Dipped AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it does not really look rubbed in hand on the cheek though that is the spot I could see it making it AU-58
Does not look like wear angling it over white which usually makes rub stand out.
Coin was quick dipped in Acetone to make sure there was no residue .
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: