Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 S Lincoln Proof DDO-003?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 477Next Topic  
Valued Member

New Zealand
119 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  01:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NZStamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all cracked open a 72S Proof Set for better viewing as all coins are rainbow toned. Is this a DDO-003? Thankyou in advance.
Let me know if more pics are requried.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4608 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  04:28 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDO-003 is a business strike coin with a bar over the 2 in the date. Yours is a proof coin so no, can't be DDO-003, and shows no doubling over the bar of the 2 in the date either way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bat knows his stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to what has already been explained to you, what you are seeing is the doubled master die. It crosses all three mints. Scroll to the very bottom of the link and read the last listing.

LINK https://doubleddie.com/384301.html
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11022 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a doubled master die? nice - I'll have to read up on that. - thanks Makecents.
You are welcome, Dearborn. I have actually posted it on here multiple times, for different threads but does not seem to take.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Makecents: A double Master Die? can you elaborate how could happened? I can not believe my eyes when I read this.
Edited by silviosi
08/14/2022 11:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  04:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on the link he posted.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John1.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Make and @John1. With all the respect, you guys use wrong words. We have the HUB then the Master Die then the Master Die Hub and the end the DIE. What you talk about it is a probably master die hub doubling on some of those varieties and not the MASTER DIE doubling. I have nothing to say about master die hub doubling but not to play with the wrong words.

Feel back please.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi, I do understand what you are saying but I used the exact terminology that Mr. Wexler used in his listing. I suppose you could take this up with him.

-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46485 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi, did Mr. Wexler get back with you yet about his use of terminology?
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2214 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright, I'm gunna quit poking the bear, I've always liked doing this but know that no good comes from it....
silviosi, I'll try to ease your mind about this terminology that's bothering you. I have never heard you once have an issue with the term, "doubled die" and this is no different, It's just on a much larger and earlier scale. Yes, it is "hub doubling", caused by the incorrect strike between the hub and the die but is the "die" that is doubled though, regardless if it is the master or just a working die. Hope this helps.

I looked for a bear emoji but could not find one.
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: