Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Franklin Half Dollar Denver Mint Multiple Errors?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 872Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Traveler79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
have a 1958 Franklin Denver mint multiple error coin. and the errors it has ive never seen but once on the 58 Franklin. not the three that I'm positive are on it. I've only seen these errors on individual franklin's of different years I got it from my grandfather some time ago I tried posting this lastnight and today with my phone along with some very clear pictures but I fail everytime righ at the last pic I load it dose something and I'm back to square 1 I really want to know more about it if it is even worth auctioning off due to some car troubles I'm trying to get where I can of if I should keep this one and figure out another way my grandfather's been collecting since he was 12 he's 96 now and already told me I'll be inheriting quite a few

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16218 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Please be specific as to what you consider an error.
I'm always sceptical when someone says "multiple errors"
as it is hard enough to find one let alone more than one.
Looking at your coin, I can't see anything that can't be
attributed to wear or damage.
It does have the fact that it is 90% silver going for it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46456 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Traveler79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The chin had a I think it's called a goiter and the revers the mint mark is not right also the e pluribus unum my apologies for not stating that to begin with
Pillar of the Community
United States
1893 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shrug, looks like a normal circulated Franklin to me, the mint mark may have been hit by another coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59516 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin damage to a coin, is not a mint error, but coin damage. What happened during the strike is what determines a mint error. Post strike damage is not a mint error. Circulation damage will show up on coins as an incuse mark on the coin. 99% of so called errors a just contact damage to a coin. 1% are mint striking events. Just like a door ding on your car is not a factory error on your coin, but is damage after being in a parking lot. PSD is not a mint error.

So what are you seeing on your coin that is different than any other coin? Incuse damage is post strike. In order to be a die crack/chip/break/die scratch, die gouge, these will be raised on the fields/devices/design, these will be raised on the coin. These are die events. Just like when we get older, we see changes on our bodies that were no there when we were born. These die events are common as the dies age. These are not errors, they are die events.

Die varieties are created on the die and will be seen on the first strikes of the coin till the die is either pulled or retired. These are not errors, they are die varieties.

Mint errors, are mostly only of a kind happenings. Wrong planchet, (In this case only one will happen), Partial collar errors, Doubled Struck coins usually only one of these happen. A die cap that sticks to the die, is a one strike event, but can strike many other following coins could be affected. So sometimes striking events can happen and create more than one coin, but often they will look slightly different as the die cap thins/moves/rotates/thins. These are mint errors. Not die events that could happen to as many as 50% of the coins. (Making them common)

So many of these mint errors can happen and there is a site to educate you better than I can on this subject.
https://www.error-ref.com/

So the term "errors", mean nothing to us as it is used for everything found on coins, when there are correct terms that will help with a description of what you are seeing on a coin.

CoopHome: Why are correct terms more helpful on this site? we are not mind readers and errors is too much of a general term.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Traveler79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So your saying what's going on with the chin isn't a mint error ok cool I don't think I'ma post here anymore I can see the mint mark being ehayer but that chin is definitely not something done after the fact normal coin cool thanks for your input but the chin is definitely mint idk what you are seeing makes it non mint error with he chin crazy thanks 1 post is all I needed to not post her anymore
Learn More...
United States
24727 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@trav, first welcome to CCF. Second, you will notice that I have removed part of your last post. It is completely unacceptable on this forum to have that attitude. All capitals are the equivalent of yelling. You don't have to agree with us, but you did come here to ask out opinions and that is exactly what you received.

This is your only warning.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are still here, When you post {multiple error coin} then no explanation what, we have to guess. This is a very circulated coin. The goiter on the chin might be a die chip, a better picture is needed. Even if it is a chip, There is no premium on that. Stick around. There are centuries of collecting in the answers that have been given. Some you might not like, some you will.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3611 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

If you do stick around, we only want to help.

From the images you provided, it looks more like damage to the chin with displaced metal. If you can take a better photo of the chin it might help.

There is a known 1959 Franklin error listed as FS-402 "Goiter." I found one on that sold on Heritage for $99, but it was in MS-63 condition. There don't seem to be any 1958 Franklin half dollars with the same "goiter" die break.

There was a 1958-D that had what looked like a 'goiter' that was submitted to ANACS for attribution and the possible listing as the 'Discovery Piece' about 10 years ago. I can't seem to find any follow-up on that coin, but I'll continue to do some research.

I can't see a problem with the mint mark or the letters of E PLURIBUS UNUM. What do you see in these areas?
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Traveler79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 was offered 1500 for this coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46456 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3230 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a blind and a non knowledge coins x offer you this, just sell. this it is a face value coin. And next please be polite.
Edited by silviosi
08/14/2022 9:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Traveler79 Posted - Today :1H 2M ago
1 was offered 1500 for this coin

Take the money and run...only take cash!!!!

Then ask the person what they saw in the coin that made it worth that much to them. It's a real question...we're not being difficult. Up to you to participate anymore on the forum.

Anyways....

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damaged Coin.

1500 for the coin
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Traveler79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Idk guess this is another coin hitting it aswell right
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 872Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: