Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Deferred Gratification - Papal States Ferrara 1717 4 Baiocchi

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 283Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5510 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  7:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won the coin in the title at an Italian auction on February 8. Because of Italian antiquities laws, there is a 60-90 day process that ensues before the coin can be shipped.
But by then, I knew I would be bidding on a coin in their May auction, so I asked them to hold the coin to spread the shipping costs. I won the second coin in May, which needed to go through the same time consuming process (as you can guess, it was not the first time I had been to this dance).
Both coins arrived yesterday.

It is not a spectacular coin, but it is from a place I collect (Ferrara), it filled an OFEY gap for 1717, it has an unusual depiction of Saint George, where he is not on horseback, and it is one of those coins which is somewhat "scarce" (about 1 sale per year on acsearch) but not especially valuable. Some evidence of an old cleaning which is not terribly attractive.
I am also posting it because I wonder how many collectors would make a purchase and then decide to double the time to receive it from 3 months to 6 months! Maybe someone has made a decision to wait even longer?

Edited by tdziemia
08/14/2022 7:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Congratulations on your purchases and perhaps even more so, your patience!

I'm not sure I could wait.

The coin does have a nice historical age which I like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your patience and coins.

KK
Learn More...
United States
24737 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @tdz. I especially like the jaunty pose struck by St. George.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 283Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: