Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Quarter Dollar Die Clash ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello and Hi, this very lovely bicentennial quarter dollar has found its way in to my pocket. It is really a gem. Upon a closer look at it, I noticed a ridge line on the reverse running from left hand drumstick up past the torch. It looks like it might be in line with George's head on the obverse. The devices in the date also had me wondering what would make the devices partially flattened, while the other part is angled with a slope. Anyway, thanks for putting up with me. I really like this place. Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a clash. Here a Photoshop clash overlay image that shows about where clash marks should be on the coin. The clash through the drummer's wrist was caused by the bridge of Washington's nose.

Click on the picture for a larger image

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Edited by Yokozuna
08/15/2022 02:34 am
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, looks like a very minor die clash.
Nice images!
Learn More...
United States
24708 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like this place.

Very glad to hear this. As you suspect and @yoko confirmed, this coin was struck with a clashed die.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46437 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI: that is his right hand.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Ahhh....thank you John1, you are correct. I even did the self chant "right hand facing is left hand for me" and still got it mixed up....
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice images!

Thank you JTCC
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yokozuna for that confirmation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 pointed out...

Quote:
John1

True, but on the DIE where the anomaly originated, it's on the LEFT!

Right?

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3604 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe that I didn't comment on your coin, elliottite!

The coin is in fantastic condition! Lot's of luster and very few circulation marks. This is a coin I would love to have in my collection! I have to wonder why it was in circulation.

I know things like this happen all the time, but I always think about this when I see a amazing coin in my change.

I wonder if someone who collected coins for years had this in their collection, maybe because it was a clashed die strike, in this case. All collection have to be passed down to someone as time goes on, but it just makes me a little sad to think that maybe an uninformed or uncaring recipient didn't see a reason to keep it.

*sigh*

So, should I change my username to "CaptianBringdown" or something like that?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find on a 45yo coin!!!

KK
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to wonder why it was in circulation.

Thank you, Yokozuna
I work part time at convenience store as a cashier. I see alot of coins. I am very surprised at some of the coins that end up circulating that never meant to. Just the other day guy comes in and pays for a pack of smokes with some ultra cameo JFK half dollars. Gorgeous coins. I immediately bought them from my till and put them in holders. The coin in this post came to me the same way. Its awesome to find a error on a coin, but to find a error on a really nice coin, is even a more awesome feeling.
Edited by elliottite
08/15/2022 5:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10935 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: