Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Kennedy Half Dollar SMS Unc From SMS Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  09:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1965 Kennedy half dollar that looks really good to me. My opinion is around MS64 or so. What would the coin experts say on this one?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71667 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics too washed out to see surface details clearly.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how to enhance the picture any more. I have to take them with my iphone and edit them in the photo optimizer. Is there a better option without purchasing expensive editing software?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1929 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first try less light, after that try a real digicam (not a phone)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look SP64 based on the photos.

here is what helped me get better photos with my ihpone
place coin on flat surface
do not use overhead lighting
place camera about 3" from coin
zoom in until sharp
hold steady
take photo

see if that helps
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tips on getting clearer pictures. I'll try that.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two new pictures of the half dollar made as suggested that I think are much clearer. Maybe these will help with evaluating it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1929 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
better, and they do look high grade, but still too much light to see all the fields, and their brightness makes them look dipped in silver cleaner
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4073 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this coin was dipped. But his cheek could look better
SP-64
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See if a grading company can get rid of the spots. I think it is a really nice 1965.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the photos look way better. when you have a full luster coin its tough to eliminate glare so any kind of lighting will cause shadowing and obscure some surfaces. it looks like you still have some light coming in from the top right. they are good enough to get a decent assessment though.

I'm still at SP64
Pillar of the Community
United States
1929 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
based on the better pics, estimated SP65, but for me blast white is always suspect on silver coins that old
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I've had this half for 30 years in an SMS set and, since I've retired, I've started breaking them up and taking an in depth look at them. Thanks again for all the input CCF friends.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3240 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This it is the San Francisco strike in 1966 with the observe of the 1965. It is a clean one and basic will go 66SP. If you have more, look for 1964 observe design, but those was only in Philla Mint.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinhunter58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silviosi. I do have others and I'll check them out. I need to get better at identifying these.I appreciate everyones comments.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25261 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deep marks on the neck. SP-64.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: