Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909-S Indian Cent - Thoughts On Authenticity And Grade.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 398Next Topic  
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21960 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Not my coin or my pics....

Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With what little I know about these; it looks legit to me. I was comparing it to an 1863 and noted the feathers differ as to where they point, most notably at the "M" in America but I did see some on ebay with similar alignment of the feathers as the one posted in this topic.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look genuine to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overall color and detail are red flags, although I can't say it is 100% counterfeit. I would not feel comfortable purchasing this coin for myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That S looks wrong.

I vote Fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4080 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the sharpest pics, but I agree the S looks a little thick, and the date seems set too high. I lean towards counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2318 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fat rounded letters and numbers, bottom of STATES mostly missing, broken bottom of E in STATES, top of R in AMERICA missing, large fat rotated mint mark looks added to a Philly die to me. I vote fake.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1346 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mouth looks wrong to me, but I have zero confidence in saying yay or nay.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9907 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say XF and questionable authenticity.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  02:26 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is not genuine

Mintmark should have tapered slender curves and double serifs, and it is tilted right, that's not the case on a genuine example (which has a slight left tilt) -- this is the most egregious reverse red flag

Left base of 1 in date should be directly over center of gap after 1st denticle below point of bust

Base of last 9 is too high compared to the adjacent 0 -- should be lower -- the center hole of the 9 is too small and the ball of the base of the 9 is too close to the lower curve (should be more open)

Curve of the mouth is wrong creating a wicked looking scowl/frown that is not consistent with a real example (to me this is the most egregious obverse red flag)

The weakness across from STAT and continuing into the headband is not something I have seen

I compared to EDS and LDS examples and cannot find a match for the broken lettering
By way of comparison on an M-LDS example there are crumbling denticles at K2 on the obverse and two polished die gouges left of the O in OF

I have not personally seen a 1909-S with a rotated reverse die but one might exist.

Would strongly recommend authentication, but the overall look of this coin is just wrong.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12926 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dont even need to respond to this one. paralyse covered about everything wrong
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: