Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 D Wilma Mankiller Struck Through Obverse Reverse

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,031Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  7:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I'm not sure what this is. Maybe string or some fibers. Whatever happened here it looks like it started on the obverse at the motto IGWT took out the mint mark wrapped around to the reverse straight through the portrait and flared out by her hair. Any info or comments appreciated. Thanks for any help

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RW: To tell you this it is from Mint counting machine or bank counting machine I can not. The both machines are identical except the capacity. I saw some from 2020, 2021 and now your of 2022. Is happened when two coins are stuck together, so one past been roll by the roll. This roll make scratches.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silviosi. It could be just damage but I'm thinking this happened when the coin was struck. No signs of metal movement that I can see but I could be wrong. I'm leaning towards it being an error but could be some weird damage
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46493 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some kind of post strike damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16263 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't see how that could happen when the coin was
struck, especially with the mm being obliterated.
The alternative is PMD
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins have been found struck through buttons, wire, grease, plastic, tape, cloth, washers, sanding paper, other planchets, struck coins, foreign coins, fragments of other coins, springs, and numerous other things. It is a fascinating category of error coin collecting with lots of amazing coins within it. The collectibility is if the item or substance struck into the coin can be identified. Most of the time this is easy, but it can also be difficult since things struck into the coin have a habit of getting badly distorted by the strike. If it cannot be determined, it falls into the most basic and uninteresting description "struck through", which means that the coin was struck through something, but what is unknown. Its also possible to be post mint damage but its on both sides so that also is unusual. Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DATA: you are wright to say in time the coins was struck on different materials and you enumerate all or almost all possibilities. For 2022 strike it is impossible to be strike over different materials, except an part of the planchet from previous strike, and then the press stop. The modern presses are close, very well tide because the emollient come at 10 PSI pressure and is very liquid, with the solidification at 350 C deg., which will never could be rich.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1 and JimmyD. The area in question looks like the fiber may have had some gritty grease on it maybe. Both sides are different colors in the area in question. Doesn't look like a conventional scratch or any other well know damage like from a coin roller. I have a few others with the same anomaly

Pillar of the Community
United States
1049 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Datadragon and Silviosi. I think it's interesting so I wanted to see what others thought. Looks like a greasy string to me. I don't know
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RW: please look at the rims, they was push down like a pressure hit.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a few others with the same anomaly

Thats interesting, if so you could also post photos as possible which may help eventually in understanding what you have. Closer photos of the rim and edge may also help.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will look and put again the link of the modern coins strike film. And I promise this will be the fifth time and the last.

PS DATA, if you have or see some same or almost, for me mean it is in the counting machine at the Mint. Each batch of coins is 10000 so many, at the banks they put by bag, less coins (4000)
Edited by silviosi
08/15/2022 10:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like someone has taken a die grinder with a thin cutoff wheel to it. You can see on the reverse rim where it got away from them from the U to the E.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promise here the link to see the new press of the Mint. Forgot the feeder fingers and strike through grease. The third video will show you. we have to adapt to the modern era for those recent coins.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/produc...n-production
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks silviosi, I'll take a look to see any updates from others I've watched and when I visited in person.

Quote:
Once the press strikes the coins, they drop into either a bin or a tray. An inspector examines samples for errors. If they pass inspection, they move to packaging. If circulating coins don't meet certain standards, the batch goes to a machine called a waffler. The waffler bends the coins to form wavy lines before they're sent for recycling.

Apparently they still need to hire Inspector 12 from Hanes with all the issues people have reported

0ujt52VSX_A
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DATA, to day are just 5 peoples on all the line. The fifth it is the inspector and look at the video, they took one or maybe max 3 coins to see then open the gate. Is more on mass production then quality.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,031Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: