Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Buffalo Nickel" Or "Bison Nickel" - Which Is Correct?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,091Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20728 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ain't going to say Buffalo nickel no mo.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Notice how the forum hot-links Buffalo nickel but not Bison nickel.
You can fix that though. Come on, take a stand!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad we are having fun with this!

It's simply a case that some people have never been taught the difference between what a "common name*" is and what a "genus**" is, hence they misuse a genus.

*common names: dog, cat, horse, buffalo
*genus terms designed to narrow a scientific identification: Canis, Felinus, Equus, Bison respectively to the above list.

But we can call it what we want. Call it a Unicorn nickel if you choose! We speak American English...the baddest & most rad ever...dig?

At least now people desiring the verifiable/technical facts have a compiled resource with which to combat the adamant saying everyone needs to (mis)use a genus.

100 years from now...who will...

...think there won't still be some trying to make their point as being the only valid one b/c...it just is!

We all do it, y'know...unless we directly try to fight ourselves

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Edited by Earle42
08/17/2022 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
everest said:

Quote:
Buffalo is to Bison as Toning is to Tarnish & etc. Call it as you like.

Actually, and sorry, but I disagree...
Toning and tarnish are synonyms.
Bison and buffalo are not. In order from the last sentence, a genus, designed for classification in the scientific system, is not a common name. A genus and common name are not interchangeable by definition...unless we ignore established fact.

However, I also agree!
But only b/c we speak English which tends to throw facts out the window for awhile. We use whatever we feel like until everyone thinks it IS right.

Cool beans!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Edited by Earle42
08/17/2022 4:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can fix that though. Come on, take a stand!
Actually, I cannot. It is done on the back-end. I do not have direct access.

Quote:
Call it a Unicorn nickel if you choose!
Only if the right hobo got a hold of it first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Political Commentary removed by the Staff. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71546 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to what I can find, the buffalo and bison are in the same general family (bovidae), but are not even closely related. As noted, our beloved American symbol is simply a mis-named bison.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically we should call it the American Plains Bison nickel. There are two species of extant bison, American and European, and two sub-species of American bison, plains and wood bison. So... nyah nyah!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,091Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: