Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Joined Yesterday From Lousiana Have Unsure 1970 S SD DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 309Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  01:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Deecoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like a large date with MD=machine doubling. No added value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
24714 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dee, first welcome to CCF. Second, you have a nice example of Machine Doubling on this cent, but unfortunately that doesn't add any value so only worth one cent.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16209 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Your question has been answered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
894 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community. Lots of good information here.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeTime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Machine Doubling. I have one almost identical to this one. Worthless, but I sometimes keep worthless coins if they are interesting.

One telltale for Machine Doubling is the shelf-like look. Another is that the Machine Doubling often shows up on the date AND the mintmark. Where true doubled dies may only show on the date, for example. Lastly, if it looks like someone smashed the edges of the date down, then the actual tops of the numbers (devices) look narrower. In true doubled dies, the centers actually look wider. Look at the "1". If you ignore the flattening, the number looks narrower.

Nice example of MD though
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10947 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice explanation parnelli917
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59516 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the 1968-1972 had Machine Doubling often. Even the 1969-S "Big DDO', many of these had Machine Doubling on them:

Note the date is hub doubled, but the yellow arrows are showing Machine Doubling. So you can have Machine Doubling on a doubled die, and on normal coins, because it is caused by the machine. Only a doubled die can produce a double die coin. The die that created your coin was normal, thus it is not a doubled die, but has Machine Doubling. A doubled die can have Machine Doubling, but a [i]true collector[/i\ prefers to buy a coin without the Machine Doubling as it is a distraction to a doubled die. Like on your coin, note the affected areas are reduced in height, not raised. Again note on the doubled die, the date will show a raised extra hub device area on the die. But note, the mintmark is normal on the DDO. The die creation process happens first. The mintmark punch is later added to the working dies. So when you see the date and the mintmark affected the same, then it is Machine Doubling. So your coin was from a normal die, not a doubled die. The Machine Doubling altered the coin, post strike. Hope this helps.

CoopHome: Can Machine Doubling also affected normal dies? all dies can be affected by MD
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: