Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 200 PF Gold Gilder Netherlands Antilles - Grade Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 210Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3254 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is still in its original packaging with an unbroken security seal. It says it's a proof coin. I want to show the spot on the obverse In front of her nose to see how it would affect the grade. The other spotting from the four head down is a reflection of the camera lens on the proof surface.

The coin is a KM 18 in the NGC World coin guide. It shows it to be 90% fine gold. I always thought that gold was inert and not prone to oxidation which I this mark might be.

But it could be possibly stuck on the mylar itself on the coin side. Without ripping the new packaging off of the coin I don't know how to determine exactly what the spot is; any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not showing the reverse close-up just because the coin's probably going to grade out at least a 67 or higher If I'm lucky. And that level is difficult to grade over an Internet connection as opposed to having it in hand etc.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25269 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't grade it without photos of the obverse and reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3254 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What appears to be a lot of mini scratches at 6 o'clock on the obverse, is actually on the surface of the mylar making it very difficult to grade these things. The noise at 3 o'clock on the reverse is likewise made of many scratches and tiny pieces of lint inside on the Mylar. It is difficult to see this but easy to make that decision since there is a double image on 95% of those suspect areas from the mirroring of the proof surface etc.

I would like to know what the obverse discoloration is from 2 to 4 o'clock. I've always heard that PVC can adversely affect a coin. But I don't know if that substance is PVC or some sort of reaction going on with the gold surface. I don't know if I would go as far and say that it is some form of toning since I don't know if that type of a reaction can occur on gold.

I need to know answers to these questions.

Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: