Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 O Morgan Silver Dollar- First One!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 506Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've always wanted a Morgan silver dollar. I wasn't really worried about the year or mint mark I just wanted one that was nice and shiny.. I took about 8 or 9 small denomination silver coins I have found over the past couple of months and I traded them for cash. The coin guy said None of them were in good enough condition to give coin values for but he would give me bullion price. I disagree and I probably got done over again but but we'll see. He gave me $29.. I bought a Morgan silver dollar. But then I saw a nicer one and I told him I'd given the 1 I had just bought and $20 for this other 1. This is the other 1.

Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty. Morgan's are my favorite. Enjoy it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2257 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great detail on this coin! Unfortunately this one has been polished by a wheel on a power tool, but it is a nice morgan nonetheless. There is something special about Morgans, because they are popular and affordable in high grades.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I got done over again? If it's been polished as you said it has been, is it still worth $50 or......
Valued Member
Germany
294 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since its a (relatively) common date I'd say no, it is not worth 50$ in this condition.

Edited by HP2001PH
08/18/2022 04:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is worth silver value. Make sure to mark the holder as it being a details coin.Save it until silver value goes up enough to cover your losses then sell.Did you buy it from the same place you sold your other silver coin for silver value?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/18/2022 04:30 am
Valued Member
Germany
294 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe on eBay you could sell it for 30$ easily. The experienced collector won't pay more than silver (or rather won't buy at all), but there is a market for a nice looking genuine old dollar", beyond collectors obsessions over surfaces, cleaning and original condition.

There are people that like a whizzed silver coin.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1- yes. Same guy bought my silver coins for $29. He gave me the original, less attractive Morgan I had picked out that was labeled $31 for the $29. Then I saw this one and ask if he would give e this one to me for the original pick us $20. This one was labeled $50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be worth a very slight premium to silver value since it might appeal to someone as a jewelry piece, but not much. Only additional value would be ornamental not numismatic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Camrdaddy19

You might find this video helpful to identify that your coin has been polished.

kJ5YlHaD72Q

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a AU details, cleaned coin.
Valued Member
China
52 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice big silver dollar,congratulations!it is a joke that I have had seated,capped bust,flying eagle ...but I don't have a mogan dollar.Chinese people usually only interested in the Morgan which has a cc mint mark. I'm going to buy one these days.by the way,how to post the pictures.don't report me ,My English only have a high school level hahaha#65281;please reply me so that I can test my inbox functionality#65281;
Valued Member
China
52 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local coin shop has a 1884 CC Morgan.But it is pricy.I will try to save money to buy it one day.and that day is what I call Carson City day!yeah!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: