Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Penny Progression Of A Die Clash And Strike Through - Deja Vu!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 234Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
408 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  01:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Perhaps first revisit this topic by Boatshed back in 2019, as it is directly related to this topic.
http://goccf.com/t/349394

I have been looking at 1922 pennies for a wide spacing date, after a topic by Mr T about date spacings and alignments. While going through my spare parts box, I noticed the first die clash under the chin of the king. I thought it was PMD at first, but then decided it was a mint issue. Looks to be a part of one of the N's on the reverse.
So I continued looking for a wide spacing date, and came across another of the same die clash.
So on it went ( I have 37 spare 1922's) until I ended with 5 1922 pennies with varying degrees of this die clash.

The 4th find was one a bit different to the others, more like a triangle cut into the same position, and also a strike through adjacent to the nose. This is a twin of Boatshed's 1922 penny. (minus the hole)

Interesting (to me anyway ) that I also found the parallel trough die clash on a 1919 penny.

I don't know if 5 die clash coins from a field of 37 is indicative of the propensity of this error out in circulation back in the day. A quick google search only came up with the CCF thread above.
That bit of tungsten filament....or whatever it was that was struck through on the last coin shown here, must have hung around for a bit, and what are the chances of the two twin coins ending up on this forum.
Maybe there are many examples of it floating around unnoticed.

Anyway, I found it interesting and thought it worth as share.

Cheers tt

Coin 1 1922 Penny - faint die clash parallel trough

Coin 2 1922 Penny - die clash parallel trough

Coin 3 1922 Penny - die clash parallel trough

Coin 4 1922 Penny - die clash parallel trough with impression angled to the left

Coin 5 1922 Penny - Boatshed's coin from 2019

Coin 6 1922 Penny with die clash and strike through adj. to nose

Close ups of clash and strike through
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
408 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmmmm.......just realized that I put the wrong reverse pic on the slide for Coin 1.
I'll put the correct one up later. Apologies
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2086 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice - I think these dies clashes are probably more common than we think (at least for some years).
I don't think the 1922 penny has had a good write-up in the CAB either.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: