Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

4 Reales Cob - Philip III Or Iv?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 387Next Topic  
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoshE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I recently acquired this 4 reales cob coin. I have tried posting this on Numista, but it doesn't exist in the catalogue there. I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light as to the monarch and possible location of origin for the coin. The beading around the Greek cross and the 2 shields on the shield, are what confuse me.
Many Thanks,
JoshE

The weight is consistent with a 4 reales at around 13.5 grams.

Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, curious piece. Are you positive on the weight (in hand, weighed it yourself)?

Spain proper (not colonies). "Should" be 1600s-1610s or so by overall style, and indeed it appears to have a "0" there for the 3rd digit of the date. First glance guess at specific mint was Granada, but having a hard time matching details. Curious shield style, narrow with squished-in details - note how the upper L quadrant has only one lion and castle rather than two. Also, looks like rather than the Portugal escutcheon, they repeated Flanders/Tyrol. Have sen both of those quirks before on certain peninsular pieces... have to review pics.

Edited by realeswatcher
08/18/2022 9:24 pm
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't received the coin yet, but when asked, the seller said the weight was around 13.5 grams. He also stated that it may have been cut from an 8 reales. Thanks for your replies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall seeing this piece now... the Canadian Arab guy. He mentions the exact weight for some pieces but not others.

From seeing his listings, he doesn't really know what he's looking at in terms of attributing these, so his speculation doesn't mean much... though some of the pieces he's been offering have been obviously clipped down (e.g., 394184298884).

What also throwing me on this piece is the fact the denomination mark (right of the shield, assuming it's not mintmark and/or assayer on the right as sometimes happens) looks more like "II" than "IIII".
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this is the guy.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed has been clipped. I'm beginning to doubt the weight claims now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 387Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: