Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 Lincoln Memorial Cent Mint Error - Struck Through Split Planchet

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 482Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  01:12 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a nifty one! Struck through a split planchet with 100% coverage. Coin weighs 3.03g.

1959 Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - struck through split planchet

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add G58NoReverse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tropicalbats, that is an amazing piece/coin. I have noticed that you come across many of these struck through,splits etc. May I ask if you are finding in change, rolls, or purchasing ?
I have seen many really nice/awesome pieces that you've posted

Keep doing what you're doing .

Bj
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  02:23 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks G58! Yeah this one is kinda special among the struck through crowd, as one half of a split planchet failed to eject from the chamber, a planchet came in on top of it and the next strike produced this crazy thing. It's a fun one! In general I like struck through and split planchet coins so I pick them up when I find them at reasonable prices, but I also buy large error collections and that is what I did today. Most all of the coins are just die cracks, die chips, minor clashes and the like, but usually buried somewhere in these collections are a few really nice errors. I still have close to 1000 coins to get through so likely some more goodies will pop up. Already found a couple more worth posting tomorrow.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add G58NoReverse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tb, I will be looking forward to seeing the new ones, though I don't have much time these days I will be looking for them.
Thanks for information I will have to start finding estate sales or something similar in my neck of the woods. I don't and won't buy from online sites, it's to bad can't have it more regulated as to not allow fake, etc.

Thanks again
Bj
Pillar of the Community
United States
2170 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good lord !
What a unique first strike Brockage. It must be the first strike to have the lamination striations, the Memorial and the ghost of Abe all there .
What a coin !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great one!
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, nice full obverse strike on this. Congrats!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Pillar of the Community
United States
3261 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another fantastic error.
Completely agree with Stoneman about it being very early if not the first struck.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! The error collection had a small rack in the category "struck through." Never expect to find an error of this caliber in there, but I'll take it for sure!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to be back! Still more work coming up soon but always try to get up a few interesting coins when I can.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a true "Show Stopper" for me!

I hope you don't mind some questions. I need to understand this strike.

Did the split planchet maintain its position in the striking chamber, as in, is the Memorial in the correct position for coin alignment? My mind can't seem to wrap around what transferred the faint Memorial design to this coin. Did the intervening split planchet coin simply act as the reverse die in this case imparting the split lines and the Memorial? Did the reverse die have any part in striking this coin other than providing pressure?

I hope those questions make sense. I'm almost too stunned to type.

I think I've asked before that you put me in your will or just adopt me, straight out. I'd be oh so happy with either. I am more than jealous of your error collection!

THANK YOU so much for sharing, explaining and for the fantastic images!

I have to go to sleep now. My ability to think is at an end.

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4607 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  03:30 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yoko, you don't need my help here, as you explained it perfectly. A planchet was inserted into the chamber and was split during the strike. The obverse half was ejected while the reverse half remained on the anvil die. A new planchet was inserted and the coin was struck with the obverse relatively normal just showing a bit of finning. But the reverse was imprinted with brockage from the split planchet (the grainy look from the split surface), the memorial showed up due to through pressure (although it could have been visible on that surface as well), and if you look closely you will see Lincoln since he was ghosted onto the split planchet as well. And yes, the split planchet remained pretty much un-rotated as the designs match up pretty closely.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8040 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous coin indeed TB.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tropicalbats replied...

Quote:
...you don't need my help here, as you explained it perfectly.

That's funny! I didn't realize that I could be explaining the strike by asking about it in the way I did.

I do love this coin!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: