Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-D Dime Appears Copper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  02:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lastchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this dime searching cent rolls from my bank. I have read the 1989 dime forum. This is my fourth attempt to create this topic so please bear with me as I learn to navigate this platform from my phone properly. In my opinion the coin is plated or toned but I want to be sure it's not an extremely rare extremely valuable error. Toning is possible. I've seen many environmentally damaged coins and this is different. I thought toning was the next bet but I did the razor blade test on the edge and see no silver. Also on two different scales,the coin weighs 2.238 and 2.243 grams which is slightly under weight but within tolerance. I have been working on this post for two hours now. Hopefully the photos I added will appear. Tomorrow I will trade my daughter my android for her iPhone and attempt better photos. Apologies.Also tips on taking quality photos would be much appreciated. I have USB microscope but that throws a different color to the pics and shows misleading doubling a lot.
Edited by Lastchance
08/19/2022 02:44 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lastchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have my uploaded images appeared yet? If not I will delete this post and try again tomorrow.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lastchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lastchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the mods will move this to a more appropriate forum, you're in Australia at the moment!
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10935 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  04:59 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brown toning on cupro-nickel coins is usually a sign that the coin has been buried in soil for a while, and then dug up, maybe by a metal detector user. If such coins are put back into circulation without being cleaned, it will take a while for them to regain their 'silver' color and they may look like yours for a while. Sharper photos would be appreciated if possible please!
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the mods will move this to a more appropriate forum

Done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An accurate weight for the coin might tell us something.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71609 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, weight please.

to the CCF!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lastchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's only a few thousandths of a difference between the two scales. Is that not accurate enough? I will get better pictures of the iPhone or would it be better to use the USB microscope that misrepresents the color?
Learn More...
United States
116212 Posts
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The alloy used for nickels and the outer clad layers on dimes, quarters, and halves are susceptible to environmental damage also resulting in a darker appearance. Unless you are getting them from mint bags or rolls it would be hard to know exactly what its been exposed to during its circulation. They can also develop toning, here 1957 10C MS66 PCGS, outrageous sea-green, violet, and golden-brown patina; 1958 MS66 PCGS, vivid copper-red and cobalt-blue hues; and a 1958-D MS66 PCGS, deep ruby-red borders frame the olive-green centers. https://coins.ha.com/itm/roosevelt-...a/324-5925.s

Its hard to see from the photos, here is a cent alloy planchet that dimes were struck on, but those are rare and look a bit different https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1271-5871.s
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 353Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: