Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Concerning The Passing Of The Queen.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
458 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Truly a moment to be alive. End of the longest reign in British history.
Numismatically speaking, would one expect 2022 issues of The Royal Mint Britannians and Maple Leafs to appreciate?
Also, would you expect a 2022 issue of King Charles III Sovereigns?
It would be nice to have an accounting of the moment to pass along.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume we'll all have to wait for The Royal Mint, Canada, Australia, etc. to make announcements about the change or any memorial coinage. Time will tell if her 2022 coinage will increase in value.
Edited by livingwater
09/08/2022 7:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20370 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A new range of banknotes as well as coins will have to be produced to reflect the change of reign.
All old coins and banknotes will remain in circulation.

There will no doubt be a range of memorial coins produced but Australia most probably will not produce commemorative banknotes
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1027 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering if the mint has some kind of prepared sample of new coins/banknotes? If not, then I think we can not wait for new coins / banknotes until the end of the year.
P.S. I will follow the news, I want to have a couple of coins in memory of the queen's death. This event will remain in memory for a long time.
Learn More...
Australia
14818 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2022  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I've already noted in the threads in the Canadian and Australian subforums...

No, we almost certainly will not see 2022 Charles III coins. Both for sentimental reasons - everyone's still mourning QEII - and for practical reasons.

The biggest hold-up is in getting the new royal portrait of Charles III approved. They do not have any stock portraits archived away that they can just whip out and use at a moment's notice. They couldn't prepare a portrait in advance, as it would have been against protocol, not to mention common decency, to start designing the Queen's successor's coins when she wasn't dead yet. And designing a new coinage portrait, frankly, isn't high up the list of priorities for a new king these days. I suspect it will be at least a month before they get around to choosing the artists and having a portrait sitting, and how long the process through to finished coins then takes would depend on how fussy Charles III is in choosing likenesses which he approves of. Queen Elizabeth II was notoriously easy to please and never rejected a portrait, but back in 1936, new king Edward VIII took so long to choose his portrait that he'd abdicated before they could use it on any coins.

So the new portrait of Charles III isn't going to be ready until late 2022, or early 2023 - which will be too late to strike any 2022-dated Charles III coins. If they do what they did in previous monarch transitions, they will continue to strike 2022-dated coins, featuring Elizabeth II, up until the new portrait is ready to go. If a country desperately needs circulating coins and the new portrait isn't ready by January 1 2023, they will most likely continue to issue 2022-dated coins with the old portrait.

As for the question of 2022 coins becoming valuable, well... for the most part, 1936 coins aren't valuable, and 1952 coins aren't valuable either. Mainly because lots and lots of people kept them, as "souvenirs of the old king". So it's much easier to get nice Unc examples of 1936 and 1952 coins, compared to, say 1933 and 1950 coins. And partly because, as I mentioned earlier, the mintage period for "2022" coins is likely to end up being over a year, so total mintages will likely be higher for 2022 than for surrounding years.

But if you want a hot tip on QEII coins that are likely to appreciate in value, I'd recommend the 70th anniversary of accession coins that everybody made earlier this year. Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and probably a bunch of other places all made coins for that occasion. Queen Elizabeth II made it to her 70th of accession, but didn't make it to her 70th of coronation (which would have been next year, since she was crowned in 1953).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3672 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NZ has already said it will be years, several years, as they have adequate supplies of current coins and bills to meet needs.
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: