Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spotting A Cleaned Silver Coin - 1913-S Barber Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 619Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1949-S to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Q1 -- I'm trying to get more experienced at spotting a cleaned silver coin. The rough appearance of the coin in the photos makes me suspicious. Has this coin been cleaned or otherwise been made less desirable? Any explanation beyond yes/no would be most welcome but all replies are very much appreciated.

Q2 -- Assuming that it is not a "Details" coin caused by above, I see this coin as a VG-10. Any difference of opinion?

Thanks in advance!

- Dan

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an older cleaning. TPG will details it. Raw, it's probably a VG-8 straight grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73358 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
Canada
88 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapperd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned silver coin tips....
- surfaces are flat & dull (almost gray )
- reflective "hour glass" quality is gone
- no 109 year old silver coin with that much wear should still be "shiny" on all the raised points only

VG8 details (cleaned) grade for sure...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG8 details (cleaned)

also noticeable is the greenish hue on the rims. typically this would be PVC transfer from a flip
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2022  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems OK to me. I'd say VG-08 straight grade. If it were MS might warrant more scrutiny but in this grade unless it's got strong parallel hairlines or color that is just way off, i.e. super shiny, I'm inclined not to bag it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1884 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a straight VG that has been in an old album to me. & 🤷 #127996;#8205;#9794;#65039;.
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaturnD51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a fast question here. If the coin was cleaned,why is there dirt around all the letters and inside rim?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does show indicators of old cleaning but it might come back original as for grade VG-8 , remember a VG-10 barber is so close to F-12 it stands out and makes you say wow usually its so close to Fine that it may come down to only 5 of 6 letters showing in Liberty.. TPG's do grade some 5 letter Barbers as F-12 but those will have much more of the head wreath showing and overall alot more obverse and reverse detail. I've seen many examples of Barbers with F-12 F-15 grade showing 5 letters but the R of Liberty was so worn from old dies that they factor it in.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: