Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 P Lincoln Cent Zinc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  5:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends I have another Zinc 1983 showing all of the characteristic of this year including zinc dust impacting the fields of the coin! It has an interesting contrast of the reverse script near the rim making it stand out. There are the Die Cracks at the corners of the Memorial with the right one continuing behind the shrubs and going toward the base of the tenth column. Under the N and I of UNITED there is the beginning of the copper delamination away from the rim. A Die Chip is under the E of CENT and a small Die Dot on the C. Also a sun (Die Chip) going down behind the right roof of the Memorial. Nothing going on the Obverse except the 'Orange Peel' look of the surface of this coin. This 1983 will destroy itself eventually! Take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts. Regards all.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2147 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, die chips and similar die events, with unnatural looking surfaces that say cleaned or polished, or the image digitally manipulated via software
Pillar of the Community
United States
9944 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zinc core cents are plated, so technically, delamination doesn't apply here (in the classic numismatic sense). Do like the die cracks.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for calling it delamination I understand plating and I was calling attention to the plating at the rim disintegrating allowing zinc dust to impact the surface.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nick10 I'll be happy to send you the coin so you can examine it. I do not artificially change the content of the photo. I use an older program Picasa 3 to store the image so it can be converted to the image to a jpeg so coin community website can accept it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically delamination it is proper word to be say in cases of the plating and cladding coins. Delamination it is the term which say :"separation of two different materials resulted from the processes of lamination." Plating and cladding are two of many others processes of lamination.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12163 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice looking pictures, well done. Nice die chips and cracks (in the usual places), but I wonder if what I see on the fields is plating blisters, of are caused from extensive die polishing. (I'm leaning towards polishing).
Pillar of the Community
United States
9621 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The exposed zinc will cause deterioration faster. Zinc rot cannot be stopped.
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: