Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916-D Buffalo Nickel For Your Consideration

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
384 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Obverse was tough to get a nice shot of. Lustrous. I've added new pics.

Edited by Jerry Picker
09/24/2022 2:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25707 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call with these photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4339 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surfaces don't look original to me. That reflective glossy appearance is indicative of a light dip or overuse of MS70, in my experience. I'll say AU(58) Details, cleaned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73521 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhat washed-out pics, lots of cheek and nose chatter. I'll say AU-58. Not a choice specimen.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ty2020b, this is the way it was when I got it. There is a lot of rub so I put it at AU58. I only use MS70 when the coin has surfaces such as the 1920-D that I posted. I use Conserv if the coin has some haze on it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9616 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Misaligned die strike
Uncirculated, MS63
There are two light scratches above and to the left of the date (1st photo)
I think some of the field disturbances may be die polishing lines but I'm no expert on Buffs

Photos make it difficult to tell surface originality but reverse appearance concerns me slightly, especially around FIVE CENTS
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4339 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this is the way it was when I got it.

Oh I'm not saying you did it, I know you know better As for the previous owners..

Coin may appear different in hand, and I could very well be wrong. I've been wrong MANY times before

Are you sending this in for grading or going into your album?
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Ty2020b, It's in my album where most of them are. I think the only other ones I may slab are the 13-S T2 which I have, the 21-S and 24-S whenever I find them. They are tough to find with a full horn for a reasonable price. If ANACS has its' $10 special again, I may send some in.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13353 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jeez, I don't know. AU58 or MS64. comparing it to other higher end grades the fields below the buff do not appear original using these photos. so I'm at AU58 (details)
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: