Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004-D LMC With Rim To Rim Crack On Obverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this cent in pocket change and noticed the interesting die crack. I checked Cuds on Coins and there is no listing for a die crack such as this on the 2004-D LMC.
Would this be classified as a Bisecting Rim to Rim die crack?
Also, would you think it would be wise to attempt to remove the areas of dirt and stain on the obverse? If so, how?
Thanks for taking a look.

Learn More...
United States
25493 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its weird how the surface staining and what could be a die crack seem to follow the same pathway. I'm not convinced you have a die crack, but am interested to hear what others think.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12353 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a bisecting RTR die crack.

I agree that it's odd about the staining following along the edge but I was able to see the raised metal of the die crack along the whole route. Where the die crack crosses the rim @K10 was giving me the most difficulty seeing but I finally spotted it.

An image of both edges of the coin might be helpful.
As well as a closeup of it in the shoulder area?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/25/2022 4:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence and Dearborn for weighing in. Additional photos appear to indicate that these are raised die cracks, not incuse scratches. Not sure what caused the staining and wonder if it is recommended to try to remove/restore.

Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Petespockets55---you posted just seconds before I supplied the additional photos. I'll see if I can provide additional photos of the edges and the shoulder area.
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are edge photos of the shoulder, and the two areas of the rim where the die cracks begin. Any additional photos necessary?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9721 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never ever clean your coins, no matter what. Just say no.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12353 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the additional images.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me again or do both "cracks" continue down the edge of the coin?

Here's one of your images I've added arrows to show what I mean.

Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for confirming the RTR, Dearborn. And thanks for your response Merclover about not cleaning.
So. with the staining along the edges, could this actually be considered a pre-cud? Or is the staining just an anomaly?
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55---yes, that is one crack that continues onto the side of the coin. There is at least one other crack north of that which continues onto the side of the coin-- as you can see in the photo below.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm....
Does a "crack" continue down both edges in line with the one on the obverse?
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmmm....
Does a "crack" continue down both edges in line with the one on the obverse?

Yes, Petespockets55. Actually, there are two small cracks emanating from the edges at both the K-10 and the K-4 areas. And then each of these 2 cracks merge into one bisecting crack.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: