Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 $1 Bill - Inking Issue?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Doing a little $1 bill searching and came across this one. At first just thought it was a well circulated bill, but then noticed the seals and the serial numbers are much more vibrant and that the letters in "The United States of America " look blotchy. Thoughts on what is going on here? Is this a keeper or a spender? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it has gone through a clothes washer.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17095 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 beat me too it, I was just going to say the same thing.
Looks like it has been bleached out.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's kind of what I thought, but can't figure out why the Fed Seal, Treasury Seal, serial number(both) were not bleached out as the rest of the bill. These features all appear very bold and vibrant.

I believe that the printing process is a multi-step process. Could one of the steps have been weak with ink?

Probably just me wanting nothing to be something.

Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17095 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seals and numbers are printed on a different press using a
different ink that is probably not affected like the ink on the first pass.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47474 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On first glance it does appear to be a dramatic insufficient inking error, the back is also affected however so that also agrees potentially with the others opinion. An Insufficient Inking Error can occur with any of the prints. There can be an Insufficient Inking Error occurring during the second print, which is when the front of a note is printed. The seals and serial number were unaffected in some of those cases, this is because they are printed at a later time, in the third print. Others show an error in the first print, when the back of the note is printed. What you show would be an insufficient inking error on both 1st (back) and 2nd (front) prints and 3rd print (seals and serial) unaffected, or something otherwise has affected the ink on both front and some on the reverse that somehow did not affect the ink used for the 3rd print.

You can submit them to PMG for certification under an applicable grading tier with "error" or the specific error noted under the Variety/Pedigree column on the submission form if its not able to be explained. There is no additional fee for this service.
Edited by datadragon
09/26/2022 4:24 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: