Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 Lincoln Wheat Cent Damage - One To Ponder 2.79g

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 522Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4833 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:44 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this one from another error collector. He thought maybe it was some kind of cast copy, but I'm thinking it was sandblasted. Neither of us have a clue how the odd incised shape got on the reverse. Just one to ponder over.

1934 Lincoln Wheat cent damage - ? 2.79g

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3775 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is strange. I would think it has to be struck through as there's no distortion on the obverse. The sandblasting is just sad.

Another 'Struck through an Earthworm' situation.
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47445 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be interesting to know how it was done,but it is PMD not an error IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seem to be cast on sand pads which was not dry complete(goldsmith way).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73506 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, but beyond my ken.
Pillar of the Community
United States
923 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know about the struck thru. on rev. but the texture looks like maybe buried with rusty stuff?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10004 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm warming ip to the sandbasting possibilty, with a dose of acid perhaps. That, along with the strike through--or maybe cut with a directed jet of sand blast.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12280 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another 'Struck through an Earthworm'

That poor earthworm...

But nice struck-through 'something hopefully not living' and maybe the coin took an acid bath afterwards to get cleaned up..

VERY nice find TB. thanks again for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60422 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like an acid bath. (Short bath/lower acid bath, that didn't remove as much of the metal) May have been done to try to cover up a PSD coin? If so, then the edges would be also altered? I can't see this as a mint error with the reduction of the weight and the texture.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4833 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had thought of acid as well, but the surface looks more like a million little hits not a bit of dissolution. Of note the coin does seem to still have pretty strong rims, but a micrometer says the diameter is 18.9 so it is a little off there. The edge shows the same kind of million hits texture as the top surface.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos of the texture of sandblast. I still stay for casting. The acid for cooper must be mild acid to do such things.

The flow of the metal on the reverse tell me was cast with the point of flow somewhere on south part. This is characteristic to casting if the melted metal occur in humid casting base. And this was not centrifugal casting.
Edited by silviosi
09/30/2022 2:09 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: