Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Peace Dollar - Grade It

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 622Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13368 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
not mine but posting it for a friend. he is looking to sell this one. I cant tell if the coin is cleaned or not and we need a grade. Peace dollars are not my favorite to assess

what do you all think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73645 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53, perhaps 55. The images are inconsistent.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/30/2022 8:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4168 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 for me, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mid AU. Looks like original surfaces. I'll say AU-55.
Edited by fenton
09/30/2022 6:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9342 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8583 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series is tough to grade without the coin in hand. Appears to have some circulation rub - so I concur with mid-AU.

Nice key date coin.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25716 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close to MS. Nice AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10067 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm good with AU55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm between AU-55 and AU-58. I lean more toward 55 due to luster. The weak hair detail is a striking issue on these more so than wear. The eagle wing has just a touch of rub. Still a nice example of a key date!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 with the possibility of MS-62. The lack of luster on the central devices could be from an incomplete strike, which is expected for this issue.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47515 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I am still not good at grading because I was going with MS-61. I think we would need to see it out of the 2x2 to tell if cleaned or not. I have always wanted one but always out of my budget.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Canada
88 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapperd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50-55...light wear on high points. A decent coin...keeper all the way
Pillar of the Community
United States
3719 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The luster on the coin is muted maybe from a strong old dip. The coin has the typical soft strike on hair and eagle's wing from the pressure being turned down on the press. The fields on the coin are not showing any signs of circulation. The flatness on the eagle's wing is strike not wear, and the high point the tip of the wing does not appear to have wear. The center of the neck does not appear to show any circulation rub, and the neck ridge is not showing wear. From the photos, I am at MS62. If there is circulation rub on the cheek and neck the grade needs to drop down to AU58.

On this coin a fair grade for both buyer and seller may be AU58.
Edited by Slider23
10/01/2022 09:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU- 53 on this one. If it is lustrous it may be 55.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: