Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Surely People Aren't Really Paying $90 For A Standard 2022 50c Coin Just Because The Queen Died.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,131Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
810 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Apparently this seller has sold 25 of them

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255722685084
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20386 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay seller is scamming on the numismatically uneducated.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1187 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... or instead of $2 from Woolies you can buy this rare coin for only $14.95!

'Uncirculated Colour Coin Limited Edition Release Coin with the final design of queen's portrait'

Australia
42 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sabrocks69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Far out that is crazy!!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4529 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller says the 50c is special edition. Yeah right!.
I love the way they advertise these as rare and show rolls of coins.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10068 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scamming -- A practice as old as time. Imagine what transpired back in the days of bartering--or just last week at a squalid used car lot.
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You think ebay would ban these listings, but no - its all about getting those success fees.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22070 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You think ebay would ban these listings, but no - its all about getting those success fees.

When Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan his football cards were listed on ebay for ridiculous prices. eBay took them all down very quickly.
Learn More...
Australia
14824 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "problem" - as I've pointed out before - is that there isn't actually a crime happening - unless you include the typical eBay linguistic crime of mangling the meaning of words such as "rare" and "exclusive".

Yes, those prices for regular, ordinary, circulation coins are optimistic. But as Dilbert's Boss once said, "There's no law against optimism". And if they actually manage to sell coins - or in the case of the OP link, multiple coins - well, I guess that's what people will pay. Those 27 buyers can't all be shills. Logically, these prices are unsustainable, a classic "market bubble", a bubble that will continue to propagate until the official souvenir coins become available.

At least my initial fears, that 2022 would actually end up becoming a very common date due to continuing production well into 2023, seem to be unfounded; with the recent announcement of the new Charles III approved coinage portrait, it seems likely that 2023 Chalrles III circulation coins will roll out seamlessly from January 1. And we don't know actual mintage figures for 2022 yet; it might even turn out that these mintages for some denominations aren't very high, and actually warrant at least some of that hype.

Prices for Platinum Jubilee of Accession 50 cent carded coins are shooting high - which is much as I predicted. I talked myself into buying one of those for near-issue-price from a coin club sale at Redcliffe, just before the Queen passed away, so no regrets here. Prices for 2023 QE2 Year of the Rabbit coins don't seem to be shooting up as much; I wasn't game to make a prediction about those.

In short, people with money to burn are gambling that these coins will indeed become rare and sought after. To us more experienced hands, it seems like a sucker bet. But in the end, only time will tell if they were suckers or psychics.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Australia
123 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are all items from this seller "SPONSORED"?

Notice they are selling coins at ridiculous prices and there is "Only 1 left!" of each of them.

I remember now why I don't bother looking on eBay anymore.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
799 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have also seen the coin hustler Only error coins or superb uncirculated with very low mintage coins I'd sell on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1379 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Why are all items from this seller "SPONSORED"?

That means the seller paid extra so their items will appear at the top of the search results when using "Best Match". Buyers with half a brain will sort the results by price.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1379 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I remember now why I don't bother looking on eBay anymore.

I still use EBay but I generally don't buy Aussie coins for these same reasons.

Quote:

crime of mangling the meaning of words such as "rare" and "exclusive".

I love it when sellers use these words as it then becomes an easy matter to filter out the ships anchors from the genuine sellers. Other words in my filter list include LOOK, L@@K, WOW, unique and bargain.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1294 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  02:51 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't do much about the fr3nzy, it is what it is the reseller think they can make a quick buck.(this is no criminal compare to the forgeries and fakes that ar3 made)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
810 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seller has increased the price and they are still selling.

Meanwhile I noodled $200 worth of 50c today and 53 of the 400 coins were 2022.
Valued Member
Australia
188 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have never sold anything on eBay, so I do not truly know if this is true .... but I was told that if for example, you have 100 items for sale @$1 each and you sell 90 of them at $1, you can then hike up the price to say $100 each ,and the ad will say ....10 left only ..90 sold.?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,131Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: