Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thickness Of Morgan Silver Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 608Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
73 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  03:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add recollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
getting out the calipers, I realize my Morgan dollar (1886) is thicker than it should be, like 2.9mm instead of 2.4. graded XF. I bought from a reputable dealer. size and weight check out. I realize that the rim is slightly raised. so the calipers measure the thickness of the rim because the jaws are wide and extend over the rim, not just the body of the coin. question: is the 2.4mm standard for the rim or the body of the coin?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20370 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After calculating density of 900 silver at 10.25 g/cc, diameter of 38.1 mm,
average thickness is 2.29mm

It would be reasonable to assume rim thickness is 2.4mm as measured.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73532 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I'm following this - isn't the OP saying the rim thickness is 2.9mm?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20370 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the rim thickness measures 2.9mm, I agree, it is thicker than it should be.
If size and weight check out, and the rim thickness is 2.9mm, it
follows that the metal must be less dense at 8.1 gms/cc
Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post images? My understanding is that some counterfeits make the weight correct by making the coin thicker.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 608Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: