Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 D Nickle Could The Word God Be Doubled Or Is It An MD I'm thinking Its An MD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 322Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
603 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  05:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
ok I found this nickle sorting through my change its a 1972 D nickle I'm not sure if god has doubling or if its an MD I'm leaning towards the MD and is the reverse the way it looks caused from filing to hide a clash

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73485 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17063 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see MD or any sign of a clash.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6166 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with above, just result of circulation wear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2164 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can't tell from those pics, they look like phone photos that smooth details
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60407 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically circulation flattening is similar to a Struck Through Grease error. The flattening moves the metal downwards to the with of the devices. The normal devices are narrow at the tops of the devices, and the grease prevents tapered part of the devices to be seen:

The difference is that the tapered area on circulation flattening is moving the upper thinned area, downwards. Thus they look as wide as the base of the devices.

This flattening, makes you think it is wider, but it is just the base width of the devices you are seeing pressed downwards. If you were to look at a doubled die side view they could look more like this:

The base of the devices are wider, thus they are showing spread. While the normal die coins, with circulation flattening, are not showing spread, but the base width of the normal devices.
As the dies continue to be used, the normal width does increase, but they tend to look more distorted:
Starts to look more like this:

The aging continues:

And more distortion:

And even more:

So what am I referring to as distiortion? Note on these the devices closer to the rim are wider/taller and the bottoms of the same devices. This distortion makes some dates to look like circles. Along with the distiortion you will see flow lines. Spread is not this distortion. The spread is seen on the first doubled die forward till they are noticed, or retired.
The hub doubling looks like the hub itself altering the devices:

The spread looks like the shape of the hub but wider.

Note how the spread is seen on the centers of the devices:

Note the spread on this die is vertical, making the tops/bottoms of the devices enlarged?

Machine Doubling and circulation flattening alter the vertical devices most of the time.

Note the contour is removed from one side of the devices, making the devices smaller:

Spread can also be tripled:

Or even Quadrupled

On these not all areas will show the triple/quad, but the on some areas it is seen because of the hub process was slightly different.

So what have we covered here.
1. That a Grease Fill and a circulation flattening widens the devices on the centers but only to the edge of the normal base of the devices.
2. On a doubled die, the hub enlarges the base of the devices in a direction. Taller/wider, but not distorted. It still maintains the shape of the hub. (On the single squeeze dies, we do see distortion of the devices because of the movement of the hub. But all the coins will show the same spread on the devices)
3. Extreme die wear will distort the devices wider than normal, but they design is also distorted. Wider at the tops/bottoms of devices closer to the rims.
Hope this helps a bit more. If there are more questions, add them to a new thread. That way all can see the examples on a certain coin.

CoopHome: How is spread, different than a Grease Fill and circulation flattening? flattening enlarges devices and grease strikes prevent the tapered areas of the devices to appear. Die wear is distorted more towards the closest rim direction.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it does help thanks coop
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60407 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing coins side by side help tell the story better. Then your eyes can see and you will know which is which.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin for this year has only two DDO:

1. WDDO=001 on No 2
2. WDDO=002 on America and the right edge of the building.

Hope help you this, your photos do not point very well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thanks and I'm just using a cheap 30 dollar coin magnifier
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: