Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946-S Walking Liberty Half

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 567Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1052 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  05:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey folks

Let me know what your guesses are for this coin.

It has superb luster even with the toning and full cartwheel.

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20344 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some lack of detail, probably due to not the freshest of dies.
If that is right, then
MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1014 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a beautiful design IMHO, MS-64 also.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73352 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning makes it difficult to see surface details clearly, especially in the right obverse field, which seems to suggest scattered marks. Could be MS-64, but perhaps only a 63.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shadows may be hiding markers. AU58 or as high as MS64. using these photos i'd be comfortable at MS63, there looks like quite a few scratches/marks under that toning. especially on the right obv field
Pillar of the Community
United States
4743 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty. 64 with a shot at 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5629 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike is reasonable (split thumb; a lot of head detail).
Scratched on the left leg and (maybe) the rays.

I think it's still MS and 64 would be quite reasonable.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with panzaldi, could be AU-58 or MS-63/64.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might make MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9329 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this coin has some obverse surface issues. It doesn't look like toning, but actual depressions in the surface.

The eagle's breast looks like it has been rubbed.

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no problems, MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some bag marks in the right obverse field, I'd say MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1052 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ns- I've looked at it under high power loupes, there's no surface issues.

Also, the breast is notorious for flat spots there for weak strikes.

There is luster on the breast.

Panzaldi- There are a few ticks on the right side, but also a few that are superficial.

Anyone that knows this series also knows that the right side is also notorious for marks showing up, even on gem coins.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
10/01/2022 4:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13322 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone that knows this series also knows that the right side is also notorious for marks showing up, even on gem coins.

yep, however in this case its they are tough to see with the toning and shadows. to me they looked a little more than normal and a couple were deeper than is typically seen. its just a tough call when assessing photos especially when you cant see the surfaces properly and thus my grade range of AU58 or as high as MS64
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 567Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: