Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 S Cent Is It Common For These Years To Have The U Stretched Like This

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 540Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
597 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2022  11:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
on my 1939 S cent is it normal on these older coins to have the u stretched like this

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20337 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very close to normal.
Minor impact damage that would not bother most collectors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73272 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulation damage to the N here, otherwise appears normal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16972 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you do have on the Obverse is some Ghosting (indirect die transfer)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9917 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die Deterioration can lead to 'towards the rim' device stretching as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5629 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Later die state.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3461 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with others that chalked this one up to circulation impact damage to the U.

Class 6 DDO's can "stretch" the base of the U's on the obv or reverse. There are almost always other signs to look for on class 6 hub doubling as well though. Look at the parts of devices parallel to the rim such as the date, LIBERTY, E(WE), EPU, wheat stems, etc. to help identify class 6 coubling.
Doubleddies.com link to Class 6 doubling-
http://doubleddie.com/203948.html

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok thanks everyone and petespockets55 I will go check doubleddies.com out right now thanks plus what am I looking for on the obverse for the ghosting on me cent jimmyD and what does ghosting look like
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12124 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60326 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is were a DDR, then the dots would be egg shaped.

Cause and affect will affect an overall area on a DDR. But damage can affect one or more of the devices in the same area. Seeing is understanding.

CoopHome: What will help me see doubled dies easier? seeing side by sides that show hub doubling (doubled die) and a normal die. the side by side will help to see the spread easier on a doubled die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/04/2022 12:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it really does looking at the ones that you shared and the dots stretch on a DDO that would help me allot on the next one that I think is strange
Pillar of the Community
United States
3461 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop. Not sure how I forgot to mention those oval dots on the reverse for 90% of the DDR's.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60326 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just refresher information for some, new to new ones. Always good to update our mental files.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prisbrey1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes it is thanks
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 540Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: