Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 D Nickel With Glue Or Something On It I Thought Was An Error & [:(]

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 646Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  6:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Brian9424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am relatively new to looking through change to find rare coins and came across a nickel with severe differences. I attached a photo to show what I am talking about. I am wondering if there is a chance this could happen from the mint or is this definetly a post production error coin. Its raised severely and even has a letter that seems depressed on the top right and missing (the P in "Pluribus,') I thought I would post it and see what this forum thought. I am suspecting heat damage but am not knowledgable enough to know if it could be a mint caused issue or is after the fact. Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Edited by Brian9424
10/02/2022 10:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2172 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like something stuck to the coin, glue perhaps?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73559 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show us the obverse of this coin.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
25481 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bri, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree that something is stuck to this coin. If you weigh it, it may come in heavy.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brian9424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that at first and confirmed its not something stuck to it but rather a raising of the metal of the coin. If it is something stuck to it it would of happened before the minting because the coins marks are on top of what could be stuck to it. If it was something stuck to it wouldn't it cover up the back of the coin? I appreciate the welcome! Its been really fun searching for coins! I will weigh it but as I keep inspecting it the metal of the coin is raised itself but nothing separate is part of it or on it.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brian9424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another picture of it! I wish I had a better quality camera to show this but the only material is the nickel itself - there isn't anything stuck to it but rather it is all raised and altered slightly with the raising. Could this happen with burning after the fact maybe or could it be extra material when it was made? The "five," in five cents is partly normal and partly raised up on the higher level of metal. I can't measure it but its a slight raise throughout the middle of the nickel that is apart of the nickel. it weighs 5 grams according to my scale
Learn More...
United States
25481 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bri, are you sure it isn't a dried clear glue?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12322 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like glue to me as well.
One way to find out for sure is it give it an over night bath in pure acetone. (not fingernail polish remover - that contains impurities).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17088 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give it an acetone bath and your "error" will probably disappear.
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a needle and push on material, any mark at all then it is glue
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22063 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt it's glue, acetone soak will remove it. You wouldn't be able to see through raised metal. You're far from the first to argue.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73559 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly the place to start.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12322 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% Acetone from a hardware store will not harm coins and is highly spoken of when it comes to getting gunk and other residue off of a coin. It is also a great tool to diagnose a coin.
Do NOT use fingernail polish removers - that WILL damage a coins surface.
a nice acetone bath for about 12 to 24 hours should soften the stuff on this coin. I'll be looking forward to see your results.
Pleas document your process for us to follow along with you.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brian9424 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#128517; you all were right I get stubborn when I think I'm right but I can admit when I'm wrong. idk if it was glue but a knife scraped off (more so cracked off) whatever was on it! This was my error lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2022  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To learn something was not being wrong but to not ask questions is to never being able to learn.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47464 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brian9424,
. You should have used acetone. Using a metal knife would have damaged the coin and if it was some kind of an error, you would have lessened the value by 20% to 80%.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: