Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 O Seated Liberty's. Grade Worthy

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,047Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  5:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was out with my daughter today she was adding to her Walking Liberty collection and I found these. So I bought them. Think I should grade slab them. Any advice or opinions appreciated. 2 1859 O seated Liberty's

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73491 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both appear damaged, oddly in the same way at obverse K1-2.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1859 O's are common shipwreck dates so I wonder if those are "shipwreck" coins and not just damaged. Not my expertise just a thought.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47442 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

They need to be put in new 2x2's and make sure to flatten the staples.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh ok. I seen them and noticed very good condition for a 1859 O. I know the New Orleans mint didn't do a good job minting so I grab them. Can do more with them or keep in collection since value is still there
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rusty staples are never a good sign.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both coins look like they came from the SS Republic. If they can be proved to be off of the shipwreck, then it would be worth sending to NGC to get the label with SS Republic. If it cannot be proved, then they are just severely damaged coins. Personal opinion, keep them raw as-is.

It looks like those are some old 2x2's, the staples are beginning to rust. The coins have been in there for a long time, probably since the shipwreck was discovered.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are definitely In old 2x2. I saw them and figured why not they was a beauty to me. But no telling how long they was at the place I seen them today. He has other stuff so I'll be going back for sure
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73491 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure at this point how these could be certified as from the Republic find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4489 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth grading due to damage. I would liberate them from the 2x2 holders at least. The damage may also be due to a poorly cast fake, especially since it seems to be common on both of them. The mint marks don't look correct. I don't like them.
Edited by jimbucks
10/03/2022 8:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73491 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are oddly similar but far from identical
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2022  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if they are counterfeit then they been in staples for a long time to rust,. What I paid for them just got get one shipwreck tested would be worth it. And still come out at a inexpensive gamble. In my opinion
Pillar of the Community
United States
1884 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not grade worthy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13347 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they do look like the salvaged SS Republic coins. if they pan out to be legit they still have decent value
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DieselCountry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna send one off and see what they say. If it is or isn't. Will update once I know
Pillar of the Community
United States
5961 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2022  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards both coins being genuine, with AU detail. However, they look both damaged and corroded. They have also been cleaned, probably in an attempt to simulate original luster. Most experienced collectors avoid coins like these. The problems will drastically reduce the potential value.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,047Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: