Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1961-D LMC Possible New D/D/D RPM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3833 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  9:57 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won one an 'Identify the Coin' contest recently and got a roll of BU 1961-D cents. (A great contest might I add)

In that roll of 1961-D cents, I found a handful of these coins. They have two marks above the mintmark, which looks similar to a few of the more severely misplaced RPMs known on the date, but it doesn't seem to be any one of them. The shape of the marks aren't perfect fits to any part of the mintmark, and the examples in the roll are mid-late die state. I believe it's probably not listable as is, so I'll be on the lookout for an early die state example that would look better.

What do you think? Have you seen one of these?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3658 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is south-east to north-west. If you look what I post today was an 500 61-D MS coins past for MM and no one rich your orientation. I will send to Wexler this coin if I will be in your skin.

The Reverse has a very strong ghost strike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4833 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember seeing that one, but I have two boxes of unlisted variety coins so maybe something similar in there. Agree it is likely an earlier die stage would be necessary for listing. When I look at the west side of the upper curve of the 6 I see a lot of pointy bits sticking out to the northwest, making the pointy bit to the northwest on the mm a bit suspect. It certainly looks like an RPM, but likely there is enough compounding stuff going on to make it difficult to really figure out what's what.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60440 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like fading die scratches.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent images. Die flow lines and later die state make this one hard to determine.

Congrats on the roll.
You did well in the contest last time. Kudos.
(My winning roll was a 1963D, but alas only a couple of minor RPM's)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
10/06/2022 7:30 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: