Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 Training Session. Thanks For Your Help.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  9:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Figured I'd ask here. Seems to be worlds best minds of coin errors and I appreciate you guys helping us newbies out. Sincerely.
So on the obverse the face is what caught me off. His cheek bone is just off is best way to describe it. Then moved to the eye nose area and it's like his eyebrow lump is lower and then the standard location. It's hard to explain.
Moved to reverse.
The dang roof half way down the coin elevates and has another half of roof on the dang thing. It even has the design in it.
Anyone seen such a thing?

Edited by PileOfCoins
10/06/2022 10:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1970 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda looks like a normal Memorial cent in really nice shape to me, they made them look like that from the start. I could add that in 1968-1969, they remade a master die hub which greatly sharpened the image of Lincoln.
In the reverse, that shadow image is what you call PIDT or progressive indirect design transfer... These become more common on later die stages as the dies wear down.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12310 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me that there was some serious die polishing going on around the eye - the device looks to be polished down to the level of the field. That is what probably make the cheek look so high.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73532 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing a DDR.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Progressive design transfer.
See that's why I come here.
How's that even possible to happen on only half the roof? I've read so much on the dies and from what I understand it should have push type doubling then shouldn't it? Not double die that smooshed look you see on deteriorating dies?
The cheek thing ok that makes sense the eye brow one let me try for a better pic.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would the line behind Lincoln be from that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60422 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at a coin, that is a positive. A die is a negative. (What does that mean?) A die forms a coin. What is raised on a coin, is the lower part of the dies. The lowest part of the coin is not the highest point on the die:

Note the design is mirrored? All the letters are all backwards, like what you would see in a mirror.
1. Note the gutter on the outside edge of the die? That helps form the rim on the coin, which is the highest point on the coin. it is lost lowest point on the die.
2. Note the fields, the next lowest point on the die, that is the highest point on the die. This will include the bays design on the Memorial cent. That will be the outside edge of that die. So any die polishing on this area of the die, will remove metal from that edge of the devices. That alteration near the statue next to the columns is where that area was slightly polished on the die, making it rise above on the coins. (reduce it the die, you raise it on the coin)
3. Then note the bust is the deepest part of the die, it will be the highest on coin. The devices are in between. Incuse on the die, raised on the coins. The initials are called sub devices, meaning they are near the height of the fields, and the first devices to be polished off the die, when it is polished.
4. The master hub and the working hubs are positives (Like coins) And the master die and working dies are negatives. They all work together to create hub, dies and coins.

CoopHome: What does a Hub and die look like? steps in the creation of hubs, dies, coins. negatives and positives follow the chain of command.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2495 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a short study on this but was not getting much help, as far as an answer. It originated with clusters of bumps on the obverse but then noticed that different examples I had, also had the "doubling" above the memorial. Here is a link to the debunked doubled die, that is said to be Die Deterioration Doubling. Also, there have been those that think it was an over polished die. I have seen it on 70,71 and 72 dies though.LINKhttp://www.error-ref.com/abrasion-doubling/

Here is a link to PCGS, that shows the debunked doubled die, check out the reverse.https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...0-7-rd/38006

-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: