Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tetricus I - Help With Reverse ID Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 386Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
676 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  02:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bronze (or really low-grade silver) 17mm to 15mm 2.32 grams
Obv: legend (IM)P C TETRICVS (PL AVG) Radiate facing right
Rev: a single figure, standing straight ahead, appears (in hand) to be a star in the right field at knee height.
The searching I could do had only 1 possibility and had a reference of ASFN (1883) 88.
I don't know where that leads to. But that possibility has the deity as Pax, but the examples of Pax I have seen don't seem to match the poor image I am stuck with.
I know that sometimes the answer is "unknown", but I thought that I would ask wiser heads than mine for help.

Thanks in advance.
TT

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1279 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call. Based solely on the posture and dress of the reverse figure, it could be either:
Spes: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.....135?lang=en
Virtus: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.....145?lang=en
Princeps Iuventutis: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.....114?lang=en

Pax seems less likely than those above.

Tetricus was the worst of the debasers. It is an antoninianus, in principle billon, but with extremely low silver content of 1 % or so.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
676 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel, your assessment has helped me a lot. I think now, that based on the stance, leg position and dress I would swing towards Virtus.
I had narrowed my search too far based on what I thought was a star in right field. I'm fairly certain looking at the Virtus from the Mannheim Collection that the reverse mark on mine is the remnants of G in AVG.
From my limited understanding of the history, it seems to me that Tetricus was in a tough spot (as was anyone in that era), elevated from soldier to leader. But he was also a survivor and one of the few not to die by the sword (or knife).

It has also occurred to me that if my specimen been a trophy piece in EF condition, then I may have just admired the craftmanship, taken a photo, recorded it into my data files and slotted it into my ancients folder without delving deeper into the true story behind the coin.

Thanks for the help, guidance and history.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1463 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the short tunic, Virtus is a good guess.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: